It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Work items dependencies

Claudia Callegari (44449871) | asked May 08 '09, 10:14 a.m.
Where can I read more about the work items dependencies (e.g.: parent-child, depends on, etc.)?
I want to understand how each of them work to decide which one fits better to my needs, but I was unable to find the doc and nothing on the online RTC help.

Thanks
Claudia Callegari

6 answers

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered May 11 '09, 3:30 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Claudia
There are two link types that have additional semantics:
Parent/Children: this is used by Agile Planning, e.g. all Tasks needed to implement a Story are children. The Plan will show children and parents and for the parent will aggregate the values from the children for progress computation.

Duplicates/Duplicate Of: this is used by Work Items when resolving a defect as 'Resolved' 'Duplicate'. When such a link is added the state of the duplicate is changed and when a link is removed, the item is reopened.

For other link types nothing is implemented as special semantic.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Robert Carter (42928789) | answered Jul 24 '09, 11:17 a.m.
Hi Claudia
Parent/Children: this is used by Agile Planning, e.g. all Tasks needed to implement a Story are children. The Plan will show children and parents and for the parent will aggregate the values from the children for progress computation.

Duplicates/Duplicate Of: this is used by Work Items when resolving a defect as 'Resolved' 'Duplicate'. When such a link is added the state of the duplicate is changed and when a link is removed, the item is reopened.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

Is there Parent Child state dependency checking? Meaning I cannot close/resolve a Parent unless all the child have been resolved?

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jul 27 '09, 2:59 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
With RTC 1.x there was a warning issued if you had inconsistent settings. No error and nothing prevented one from making inconsistent changes. This can be done using a custom condition though - I have seen a prototype.

Ralph

Hi Claudia

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

Is there Parent Child state dependency checking? Meaning I cannot close/resolve a Parent unless all the child have been resolved?

permanent link
Eitan Shomrai (9154) | answered Jun 10 '10, 2:20 a.m.
Can You point to where can I found parent/child dependency mechanism implementations (condition for closing parent and/or automatic closing the parent when all children are closed)?
Thanks!

permanent link
Colin Whooten (6) | answered Jan 04 '11, 2:18 p.m.
Did this question ever get answered?

permanent link
Daniel Cox (4261168) | answered Jan 13 '11, 10:19 p.m.
Did this question ever get answered?

The new and noteworthy for 3.0 Beta 2 has this:

Pre-condition that checks child states

There is a new precondition that enforces that a parent work item can only be resolved if all children are resolved. It also prevents adding children to already resolved parents.

I haven't used 3.0 or investigated the feature myself.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.