It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Plain Java API: Build Definition ID from Build Definition Handle

E Muehl (325) | asked Aug 24 '14, 9:19 p.m.
Hi,

How do I get to the Build Definition ID (or object) from the Build Definition Handle?  I'm using the Plain Java API (4.0.2) to generate a list of build definitions from queries based on labels and tags.  After the query, I have the following code:
String[] properties = new String[] { IBuildResult.PROPERTY_LABEL, IBuildResult.PROPERTY_TAGS, IBuildResult.PROPERTY_BUILD_DEFINITION};
List buildResults = teamRepository.itemManager().fetchPartialItems(queryPage.getItemHandles(), IItemManager.DEFAULT, Arrays.asList(properties), monitor);
buildResults.getTags() and buildResults.getLabel() both return strings, but when I use buildResults.getBuildDefinition(), I get the handle and can't find a way to access the Build Definition ID (or the object, for that matter) from that handle.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Aug 24 '14, 11:29 p.m.
edited Aug 25 '14, 7:50 a.m.
when u have  handle to an object, you need to use some repository service to compose the full object

in one of my utilities I do
private static ITeamRepository Server = TeamPlatform.getTeamRepositoryService().getTeamRepository(Properties.get(ServerURL));
private static IAuditableClient auditableClient = null;

logon

auditableClient = (IAuditableClient) Server.getClientLibrary(IAuditableClient.class);
IBuildDefinitionHandle bdh;

IBuildDefinition bd = (IBuildDefinition)auditableClient.fetchCurrentAuditable(bdh, ItemProfile.createFullProfile(IBuildDefinition.ITEM_TYPE), null);

you can pass a set of properties to be loaded instead of just FULL. with ItemProfile.createProfile()
when u only need 1 or two properties
E Muehl selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
E Muehl commented Aug 25 '14, 12:56 a.m.

Works like a charm.  Thanks very much.  Being a relative newbie to the RTC object model, is there a place inside or outside of jazz.net where all of these interrelationships are documented and explained from a high-level viewpoint?

sam detweiler commented Aug 25 '14, 7:53 a.m.

I have never seen information like this.

E Muehl commented Aug 25 '14, 11:42 a.m.

OK.  Thanks again for your help.

sam detweiler commented Aug 25 '14, 12:05 p.m.

that is why I create samples.. and why Ralph has such a good blog
https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.