It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

changing attribute type in RTC?

Karthik Krishnan (8825118163) | asked Jul 07 '14, 8:27 a.m.
edited Jul 07 '14, 8:30 a.m.
I understand that once we create an attribute in RTC workitems, it can never be changed

I have a custom workitem in one of the project area. I have 6 attributes whose type is "Iteration"

I would like to change them to "Deliverables".

Are there any easy method to do this? Like making the modifications in process template?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | answered Jul 07 '14, 8:31 a.m.
I don't believe there is a way to do this at all (if someone in RTC knows otherwise, I would be most interested in finding out!)

We've ended up in a similar situation although it was more SmallString vs MediumString .. .and we had to create a new custom attribute of type MediumString, add it to all the work items, sync attributes (to get the new attribute in all the objects), then wrote a tool that copies the value from oldAttribute to newAttribute.
Karthik Krishnan selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Karthik Krishnan commented Jul 07 '14, 8:52 a.m.

I though so too.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 07 '14, 9:00 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

There where many similar questions. See https://www.google.de/search?q=change+attribute+type+site%3Ajazz.net

Some have messed with the process XML and got lucky. However, it is not a really supported use case.

sam detweiler commented Jul 07 '14, 9:28 a.m.

As Susan said, we have had to export/import to change workitem attribute types.

to change from iteration to deliverable there is no transformation that works,
so you will have to manually modify (or clear) the the fields in the csv export
(or not import that field)

sam detweiler commented Jul 07 '14, 10:43 a.m.

also to avoid leaving trash behind, we have created a new process template with only the NEW fields. recreated the project from the new template (if not shared, which takes a little more planning) and then imported the data into the new project, leaving behind the old field defs.
rename to old to z- something, archive it. then rename the new to the old project name.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.