It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DOORS NG not available in Sandbox.

Ankit Vashistha (125627) | asked Apr 22 '14, 5:42 a.m.
 Hi,

I am not able to see my DOORS NG project in my sandbox.
DOORS available in Installed products list but not available to perform hands-on activities.
Though it is shown in the list of installed products in my sandbox.

Kindly provide some solution to it as i want to do some hands on prior to install it on actual server.

Thanx in advance.

Regards:
Ankit Vashistha 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Saurabh Malhotra (15231617) | answered Apr 22 '14, 3:01 p.m.
Hi Ankit,

I was a bit confused about this myself. However after a little research right on Jazz.net I realized that there is no longer any difference between RRC and Doors NG. Both of them are the "Requirements Management" solution on Jazz. If you buy one or the other, you get the exact same bits to install and setup. This is true as of version 4.0.5. Prior to that version there was a thick client that you got with Doors NG but that is no longer needed.

- See the note here: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-doors/releases/4.0.5?p=news#TOC_R
"Rich client: Beginning in Version 4.0.5, the web client will be the only client. That means releases of the optional rich client will no longer be needed. Version 4.0.4 and earlier of the rich client will continue to be supported according to normal IBM support policies"

- Also see this page: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-doors/releases/4.0.6?p=news
"Rational DOORS Next Generation is a requirements management tool. In the Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM), the capabilities that are provided by the Requirements Management application are licensed as either Rational DOORS Next Generation or Rational Requirements Composer."

So it looks like the two product lines have merged into one, but one product is still being sold under two names... hopefully that will change in the future as well. Maybe one of the developers or product managers can comment.

Thanks!
Saurabh
Ankit Vashistha selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ankit Vashistha commented Apr 23 '14, 12:01 a.m.

Hi Saurabh,

Are they (RRC & DNG) same in functionality and other aspects in terms of tools operability.
Though both of them are solution to requirements management but still there might be some changes in the functionality of tools.

I have done some hands-on to RRC part of CLM and also have worked on doors 9.5 they were two different things apart providing the same solution to the product development.

Thanks in advance.

Saurabh Malhotra commented Apr 23 '14, 10:02 a.m.

My understanding is that as of version 4.0.5 there is no difference between RRC and DNG. What you download and what you install is exactly the same thing. The two products have merged into one but the two names have not been merged. 

So just to make it absolutely clear, I'm reading the links above to mean that Doors Next Gen is the same as Rational Requirements Composer and they are the same as the Requirements Management capabilities built on Jazz.

Next is how does this Jazz based requirements management tool differ from classic Doors. I am in no way an expert of classic Doors so I'll let others comment on the detailed differences but I assume there are still some gaps that are on our road map.

Ankit Vashistha commented Apr 23 '14, 12:29 p.m.

I hope we both will get some flash light over the doubt we have regarding difference in classic doors and DNG.

I hope both of them provides the same capability to the user.
Thanks again.

Daniel Moul commented Apr 23 '14, 4:15 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

There are differences in DOORS NG and DOORS 9, though they both can be used for requirements management (and used together).  You can find a whitepaper on the differences in the jazz.net library "Which RM tool for my team".

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.