It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I access the build properties programmatically?

kanjbala jawahar (601816) | asked Apr 05 '14, 12:27 a.m.
The program that I am writing uses the RTC Plain Java API for 4.x.

I have gone over several forum posts that talk about accessing build definition properties.
But none for a build result or a build request.

When I bring up a build result, I see a lot of build properties, some left unchanged, some modified etc.
How do I "get" these properties as I can in the case of a build definition?
Essentially, how do I get the properties that a particular build instance actually used (which may be different from the ones defined as default in its build definition)?

Thanks.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Apr 05 '14, 8:23 a.m.

IBuildResult is another object. just like IBuildDefinition

you can search and find Build Results just like you do for Build Definitions.

IBuildResult->IBuildRequest->IBuildDefinition& Properties and ->IBuildEngine used & properties.

Build Def properties override build Engine properties of the same name.

kanjbala jawahar commented Apr 06 '14, 11:49 p.m.

I am not sure I understand the response above.
Yes, I understand that IBuildResult is an object just like any other.

From a build result object:
--one can get its build definition object and thus build definition properties
--one can also get the build engine and build engine properties
I understand all that and have done all that.

What I need is this:
--when I request a build (request build UI), I can change the values of properties under the "Build Properties" drop-down. I can remove/add properties. These changes are only for a "particular" instance, i.e. a build, not for the entire build definition. How do I get these properties "specific" to a build?

As you say, build definition properties override build engine properties of the same name.
In the case I have outlined above, I am overriding even build definition properties and could be adding/removing some on top of that. How do I "get" them?

Essentially, I need to "get" the properties and the corresponding values specific to a build result not of its build definition?

Thanks.

One answer

permanent link
kanjbala jawahar (601816) | answered Apr 09 '14, 4:04 p.m.
Ok. So I got the answer from this response by Nick Edgar:
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/23094/retrieve-properties-from-a-build-request

Only thing to note is that the getProperties returns a List and not a Map (for this particular case). Not sure why.
A list of IBuildProperty objects.

So given a UUID string for an IBuildResult, here is what I do to get the properties that this particular build used:

UUID uuidObj = UUID.valueOf(str);
        bldResultH = (IBuildResultHandle) IBuildResult.ITEM_TYPE.createItemHandle(uuidObj, null);

bldResult = (IBuildResult) repo.itemManager().fetchCompleteItem(bldResultH, IItemManager.DEFAULT, null);
         List<IBuildRequestHandle> bReqHList = (List<IBuildRequestHandle>) bldResult.getBuildRequests();
         for (IBuildRequestHandle brh : bReqHList) {
                    bReq = (IBuildRequest) repo.itemManager().fetchCompleteItem(brh, IItemManager.DEFAULT, null); 
                    IBuildDefinitionInstance bdefIns = bReq.getBuildDefinitionInstance();
                    System.out.println("Properties for this instance: " + bdefIns.getProperties());
                    for (final Iterator<IBuildProperty> i = (bdefIns.getProperties()).iterator(); i.hasNext();) {
                        IBuildProperty bldProp = (IBuildProperty) i.next();
                        System.out.println(bldProp.getName() + "---------" + bldProp.getValue());
           }

Hopefully the above will help somebody out.

I am not yet sure why the API has getBuildRequests and not just getBuildRequest. Isn't there a 1:1 relationship between a build and its build request?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.