It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using RTC for task tracking, is there a way to add a work item to a 'Plan' that has a different 'Filed Against' value?

Michael Haun (4921924) | asked Apr 02 '14, 3:25 p.m.
I'm not talking about cross project planning where you can track groups of items with different 'Filed Against' values.  I mean if I have a project with a 'Filed Against' value of "Product 1" with a corresponding plan, and I want to add just one work item with a different 'Filed Against' value, can I do this?  I've been experimenting with the Plans in RTC and I haven't discovered how to do this.  When I open a plan and click "Add Work Item" and choose "Add Existing Work Item..." and then I add a work item I want, it doesn't actually show up if the "Filed Against" value is different.  Any ideas?

Thank you.

Comments
Millard Ellingsworth commented Apr 02 '14, 5:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

While what you explicitly ask about isn't possible (see @sdetweil 's answer), if you explain what you are trying to accomplish, we might be able to come up with some suggestions. 

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Apr 02 '14, 3:47 p.m.
edited Apr 02 '14, 5:29 p.m.
 Plan is People (teamarea) doing Work (workitems) over Time (Iterations)

so, filed against gets you to the team area. it will include everything in that teamarea and its children team areas. 

Plans cannot contain arbitrary workitems.. they must be in the hierarchy of the teamarea selected. (thru the filed against)

Michael Haun selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Arne Bister commented Apr 02 '14, 4:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Sam has essentially said it all. You can read more details on how to do effective planning with RTC in article 594 on jazz.net.
Please mark Sams answer as accepted if this answers your question. Feel free to include additional details of the use case you are trying to achieve, so the community can provide a more detailed answer.

- Arne

One other answer

permanent link
Michael Haun (4921924) | answered Apr 04 '14, 9:34 a.m.
I found one way to do what I was hoping and that is using "Categories" section in edit project area.  I can define a team and then have various "Filed Against" values for those team members default to the team/timeline.  This allows it to show up in a Plan.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Apr 04 '14, 9:43 a.m.

correct, that is the way.. using filed against (cataegory) to get the workitem to be for the right team who is covered by the plan.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.