It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What value for Process ID when creating a new template

David Beange (111356100) | asked Apr 01 '14, 12:52 p.m.
When using the eclipse client with RTC V4.0.2 and creating a new Process Template based on an existing Project Area what value should be used for the Process ID?

Does this have to be unique for the server or just any value? Are there general rules that should be best followed in allocating a Process ID?

Thanks

Comments
sam detweiler commented Apr 01 '14, 1:31 p.m.

its a unique string per server. 

we have a custom Scrum template.
before installing the next version of the template, I rename the process ID String to 'old.version.x'
then install the new template  with our custom name

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 02 '14, 4:22 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
David, besides Sam's recommendation, the only fixed rule is, that it needs to be unique.

Sam has probably more experience with maintaining templates than I. I would in general as a best practice have a naming pattern such as com.<mycompany>.<some.template.name>.<version> where you replace the bracketed areas with useful values. Make sure the version number is unique.
David Beange selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
David Beange commented Apr 02 '14, 5:34 a.m.

Thanks. As a matter of interest how is this id actually used by the tooling?

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 02 '14, 6:10 a.m. | edited Apr 02 '14, 5:01 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

It is used in the deployed process, to point back to the template, as far as I know.
Internally the ID is used to deploy and refer to the template. You could, as far as I know, have 20 templates with the name set to "My Template" as long as the ID's are different it would not care. In fact you can not upload a template with the same ID.

sam detweiler commented Apr 02 '14, 6:28 a.m.

when u create a new project the select template's ID is placed in the Process ID field.
I try to encourage use of meaningful names.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.