It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Invalid Value of Attribute

Abhinav Mishra (1443039) | asked Apr 01 '14, 3:48 a.m.
Invalid Value of attribute error despite that attribute doesn't present in that work item

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Apr 01 '14, 4:02 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You might want to put a little bit more effort into the description of your question, if you hope for an answer.

Weather the work item presents that attribute or not, an attribute could be available, I think. E.g. if one changed the type. Attribute validation for example works on the attribute and independent from the work item type. So, if the validation finds an issue it would show, even if there is no attribute presentation for the attribute. You should be able to see the attribute in a query column, in this case.

Abhinav Mishra commented Apr 02 '14, 2:12 a.m. | edited Apr 02 '14, 4:02 a.m.

Thanks Ralph for getting back.....

Scenario is that I have created a work item  with name "Task" and added custom attributes.Among all of them
say attribute with name "X" and attribute with name  "Y" .And Attribute "Y" has dependency on attribute "X".
But while adding attributes to editor presentation of work item, none of the above attribute with name "X" & "Y" are added.
So in detail view of work item, its not showing those attributes("X" & "Y").
We have opted for "Attribute Validation" Precondition.
Now While trying to save the work item it shows me invalid Value of attribute "Y" .

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 02 '14, 4:11 a.m.
For the Attribute Validation Precondition, it would be necessary to configure a validator. See https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/AttributeCustomization#Validators or https://jazz.net/library/article/1093 Lab 4/Lab 5 for how that works.

So I have to assume there is a validator configured for the attribute. If that is the case, it will work across all work item types. It will also work always, independent from if the attribute has a presentation or not. By adding the attribute to a type this attribute is available and if a validator is configured the precondition would check.

Since you don't talk about the attribute type, I can't say more, however, you could try to add a default value provider to the attribute.

I find it puzzling that you add attributes without presentation. What is the reason behind having attributes that are not displayed? What types and values would they have?
Abhinav Mishra selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Abhinav Mishra commented Apr 02 '14, 4:38 a.m. | edited Apr 02 '14, 4:54 a.m.

Thanks Ralph for your quick response.

Attribute Type: Enumeration
I had added those attributes in work item  but at later stage felt that, those were no more useful for my req.
So I need to remove those attributes from the attributes list of the Work item ??

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 02 '14, 4:57 a.m.

This sounds odd. For one thing, enumerations have a default value - at least I can not save an enumeration without a default.
Did you consider to remove the attribute from the work item type? You don't use it, so why bother?

Abhinav Mishra commented Apr 02 '14, 5:07 a.m.

Yes Ralph,
Default value of enumeration is "Unassigned".

I am using that work item but not that particular attribute
While I am trying to save the work item it pop up me a error message saying "Invalid Value of attribute" with name of that particular attribute

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 02 '14, 5:27 a.m. | edited Apr 02 '14, 5:28 a.m.

I said remove the attribute from the work item type, not remove the work item type.
The default value unassigned is only possible if there is an enumeration value specified as unassigned. I believe this should be a valid value.

I just tried this with story (as above) and the attribute validation does not trigger. So I think there is something else wrong here. Not sure what it is. Maybe you used the name for two different attributes? Maybe there is some other setting that interferes?

For testing, I would configure a presentation that shows the attribute, so you can see the marker. Otherwise I'd remove the attribute from the type. If that does not help, you should work with support. They would need to get your process template to look into it.

One other answer

permanent link
Abhinav Mishra (1443039) | answered Apr 02 '14, 5:38 a.m.
Yes Ralph, "Unassigned" is a valid value of that enumeration. I am also wondering why its happening...??
Earlier with version 4.0.0 of RTC its working fine but with version 4.0.3 I am facing this issue.

If removal of those attribute would be probable solution for now..??

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.