It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Discard change set from workspace

robert tomland (1814) | asked Mar 24 '14, 7:11 p.m.
retagged Mar 25 '14, 9:19 a.m. by Evan Hughes (2.4k1318)
 I am completely new using RTC so please, I need an answer as simple as possible.

I recently accepted a change set from another team member and I need to discard the change set from my workspace. My problem here is that the change set I accepted was not delivered and it's still pending and awaiting a review approval. If I discard the change set will this wipe out the team members changes or will it just remove the change set from my workspace? In other words, I am not going to remove any changes the other team member made am I?

I really need to understand this?

Thanks

Comments
sam detweiler commented Mar 24 '14, 8:29 p.m.

how did you get a  changeset from another user, if not thru a stream?

you should be able to discard it from your workspace without affecting the stream.

robert tomland commented Mar 24 '14, 9:25 p.m. | edited Mar 25 '14, 8:38 a.m.

Sorry I am to new at this but I really do not understand streams yet? I think it's a stream is what I pulled it from? Basically, I right clicked on the change set within the links tab that I wanted to use and chose accept which added it to my outgoing. This shows up as a change set with the developers name along with the change set name.  Now all I want to do is discard it without deleting anyone's change set. If this is the case then I should just be able to discard it and it will still exist within the stream, is that correct?

sam detweiler commented Mar 24 '14, 10:51 p.m.

there are three levels..

your desktop (aka sandbox)
your workspace (on the server)
the stream (on the server) shared between people.

each of these can be synched
sandbox to workspace
and workspace to stream.

you checkin from sandbox to workspace
you deliver from workspace to stream.
others also deliver to stream,
you accept from the stream to your workspace
you load from your workspace into your sandbox

see here https://jazz.net/library/article/126

net, if you are discarding the changeset from your workspace, it will not remove it from the stream

if you got it directly from your coworkers workspace and you discard it, it won't  be deleted from their workspace either

robert tomland commented Mar 25 '14, 4:08 p.m.

Thanks Sam 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Chris McGee (50511117) | answered Mar 25 '14, 8:47 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Don't worry, discarding the change set from your repository workspace will have no effect on any other developer in your team or the team's stream. It simply detaches it from your repository workspace.

Change sets, once created, remain safely backed up on the server. Even if you can't find them in your repository workspace, stream or in a work item you can always search for them in the RTC rich clients (eclipse, visual studio, CLI).
robert tomland selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
robert tomland commented Mar 25 '14, 4:08 p.m.

Thanks a bunch Chris and Sam for your help. I was thrown into using this and everyone is on vacation. 

Much appreciated 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.