It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Incorrect Team Area after csv import of workitem.

Pooja Karda (13711) | asked Mar 17 '14, 7:16 a.m.
 I imported a workitem from a .csv file to a project area. I'm getting value of "Filed Against" attribute correctly. But in case of  team area, it is showing the parent team area instead of team area which has got association with the category present in "Filed Against" attribute. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Mar 17 '14, 7:44 a.m.

can u show us the category/team area association  (screen shot)
and the data in the CSV?

we've just finished importing about 30,000 workitems and I don't think this happened..

we are on 4.0.4

Pooja Karda commented Mar 17 '14, 8:52 a.m.

Categories hierarchy in Project Overview  

Pooja Karda commented Mar 17 '14, 8:53 a.m.

Team Area field in Work item.  

Pooja Karda commented Mar 17 '14, 9:05 a.m.

csv

Please find the screen shots.
1. Project Area Overview ---> Categories.
2. Migrated Work item.
3. Data in csv file.

Migrated work item is showing "Products"  as its Team Area instead of "HWL1: Hardware Library for MainµC"  which is associated Team Area of category HWL1_0926,  as per  figure 1.

Pooja Karda commented Mar 18 '14, 9:14 a.m.

Note:

The Categories and teamareas' creation and their association are achieved programmatically using client java api. 

sam detweiler commented Mar 18 '14, 9:27 a.m.

I did the same programmatic creation of team areas and categories.

what is the next to the last char in the team area name?  
"HWL1: Hardware Library for MainµC"

what is the char encoding of the input file?
I had a couple problems where Excel set the file to ansi instead of utf8 or utf16

I had to use notepad++ on windows to see/change it

Pooja Karda commented Mar 19 '14, 6:18 a.m.
  1. The text next to the last char in the team area name is actually "[Inherited]". i.e team area association is inherited  from its parent category. 
    I'm actually setting the character encoding to UTF-16 while exporting to .csv file. 

sam detweiler commented Mar 19 '14, 6:34 a.m.

"MainµC" next to last char here, next to the C.

wondering if the importer has a char matching problem.

do you edit the csv before import?  I did that for another reason and my UTF-8 changed to Ansi..

Pooja Karda commented Mar 19 '14, 11:40 p.m. | edited Mar 20 '14, 12:40 a.m.

It's a greek character Mu.
After exporting workitem to .csv format, we're modifying the obtained .csv file. We're just  checking for link attributes and ensuring that contents of link attributes ( for example Parent, Children, Tracks, Contributes To)is in the format of "#Workitem ID" for ex( #14). We're not modifying any other attribute.

Pooja Karda commented Mar 24 '14, 8:19 a.m.

We're migrating between servers which has got conflicting versions on rtc. for instance source repository is 4.0.5 and target repository is 4.0.6. Will it be a problem?

sam detweiler commented Mar 24 '14, 8:56 a.m.

should not be a problem.. we migrated workitems from 3.0.1 to 4.04 using export/import 

showing 5 of 11 show 6 more comments

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.