It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC extensions not loaded after restart of Tomcat

Luca Martinucci (1.0k397112) | asked Mar 06 '14, 3:54 a.m.
I am setting up an environment to develop RTC extensions (plugins).
My plugins build successfully, but after I restart Tomcat I can't see them, as they are not available as preconditions or follow-up actions under the expected extension points.
Am I missing anything?
Perhaps, should I delete the %CATALINA_HOME%\work\Catalina\localhost\ccm folder before restarting Tomcat, in order to be sure that the latest version of plugins is loaded?
Is this step mandatory or optional?
My RTC version is 4.0.5

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Mar 06 '14, 3:58 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Do they work in Jetty?

If you deploy the extensions the first time and they don't show up, your deployment process failed.
You can request a server reset, but this is usually only required if you deploy a new version of extensions.

I would try to follow the extensions workshop (Article 1000) once (e.g. just import the code from older versions) and run the deployment to make sure you understand the process and then venture to try your own code.
Luca Martinucci selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Luca Martinucci commented Mar 06 '14, 5:35 a.m.

I have not yet set up Jetty for extension testing.

So far I have only tried to deploy to Tomcat, but actually the extension I developed has never shown up (it's not just an update problem), so I suppose there is something wrong in my environment configuration.
Where can I monitor the deploy process? In ccm.log? 

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 06 '14, 6:00 a.m. | edited Mar 06 '14, 6:00 a.m.

I think I have seen some indicators in the Tomcat or Application Logs for the first install. You should see it in the Tomcat Startup, at least if exceptions are thrown. If you don't provide any system.out information you might not notice anything. I can't find a hint in any of the logs for an extension I created.

The provision status is the place I look at. E.g. https://localhost:9443/ccm/admin?internal=true#action=com.ibm.team.repository.admin.provisionStatus

Also the Component status: https://localhost:9443/ccm/admin?internal=true#action=com.ibm.team.repository.admin.componentStatus

My last suggestion here is again: Try Jetty first. if it runs in Jetty, it is good enough to test on Tomcat. If not, trying to deploy on Tomcat is pointless and a waste of time as also mentioned in https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/setting-up-rational-team-concert-for-api-development/ .

sam detweiler commented Mar 06 '14, 6:24 a.m.

you also need to reset the server, else it won't load extensions

https://server:port/ccm/admin/cmd=requestReset
then stop/start server.

also, sometimes you  need to recycle eclipse as well.

Luca Martinucci commented Mar 18 '14, 12:10 p.m.

I have now configured Jetty, and I've been able to deploy and test my extension on it.

Anyway, I still have the problem with Tomcat.
The provision status says:

CRJAZ0303I The profile install from "file:ccm/sites/local_prova_checksummary_advisor_site" was started at "Tue Mar 18 16:57:29 CET 2014".

CRJAZ0300I This feature is being installed: "local_prova_checksummary_advisor_feature_1.0.0.201403161643".
CRJAZ0299I Installing bundle from the URL "file:/C%3a/PROGRA~1/IBM/JAZZTE~1/server/conf/ccm/sites/local_prova_checksummary_advisor_site/plugins/local_prova_checksummary_advisor_1.0.0.201403161643.jar".
[.....]
CRJZS0383E The "local_prova_checksummary_advisor" bundle could not be resolved

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 18 '14, 12:36 p.m.

If it runs on Jetty but fails on Tomcat - resolving the URL - you most likely failed to

• Create the Feature or
  • Create the Update Site (most likely)
The files you transfer from the update site are missing something. The update site points to the right Jar, but somehow there are missing files or there is a mismatch in ID's.

Luca Martinucci commented Mar 20 '14, 5:06 a.m.

I added the Feature to the Jetty server launch, and now the Feature is deployed and running on Jetty, so I suppose that the Feature was created correctly.

I wonder what is wrong with my Update Site.
Here are the contents of site.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<site>
   <feature url="features/local_prova_checksummary_advisor_feature_1.0.0.201403200957.jar" id="local_prova_checksummary_advisor_feature" version="1.0.0.201403200957"/>
</site>

Luca Martinucci commented Apr 03 '14, 9:55 a.m.

I've been eventually able to deploy the extension on Tomcat after recreating it with the correct settings.

I have also been able to update it.
I had to request a server reset and to remove the provision profile and the update site in order to uninstall the older version of the extension.
Then I stopped the server, restored the provision profile and copied the update site containing the newer version to the Tomcat installation directory.
After a restart of Tomcat, the new version was loaded.
Thanks for the help.

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.