It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

inherit build engine parameters, ?

sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | asked Feb 18 '14, 9:39 a.m.
 we have a lot of build engines.. a farm. when we want to change a parameter in the build engine,  we have to go to every one and add/change it, over and over, and ... u get the idea. 

is there a way to have a build engine hold the parms, and the other build engines inherit the parms from that one?

I should note, we have a special project that has build engines & build defs as the template holder. (you cannot submit jobs on this project area, and only jazzadmin can create/delete the engines/defs..)

thanks

Comments
sam detweiler commented Feb 18 '14, 10:37 a.m.

additional info:

we do not want to store these in a file in a new 'component'  that every team must include in their build workspace. they should not need to know build engine (or build def) parms in their source code.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 19 '14, 2:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Feb 19 '14, 2:16 a.m.
Sam, I am not aware we have something like that. Does the parameter have to be surfaced to the users? If not, it might be an idea to have a common step in the build scripts to run a script that sets these from a file in the network.
Another approach would be automation (and I know you just think 'oh no, not another one' 8-).

Otherwise this might be a good enhancement request. I however assume that something like this would still have to be done in each project area.

sam detweiler selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
sam detweiler commented Feb 19 '14, 6:00 a.m.

I didn't think so, but had to ask. I'll consider opening a ER.

they don't 'need' to be surfaced, but i don't want to create yet another UI (tool) to maintain the files.. they are of course on different systems (virtual machines) which do not share a common file system linkage. (shared folder)

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 19 '14, 7:55 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Sam, there is work being done in the SDK. Please have a look here: https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/272836

Maybe you can provide your view on things as well.

sam detweiler commented Feb 19 '14, 9:01 a.m.

thx.. will review and comment 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.