It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to install RTC as a plugin into an existing eclipse?

Chengmin Ding (161) | asked Mar 15 '09, 2:43 p.m.
Hello,

We are using eclipse 3.3 and have several different feature/plugins installed already. We want to see if there is a straightforward way to install RTC client as a plugin into our existing eclipse client? We haven't found any document on how to do that yet. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

-Chengmin

8 answers

permanent link
Jakub Jurkiewicz (59632) | answered Mar 16 '09, 7:01 a.m.
Hello,

We are using eclipse 3.3 and have several different feature/plugins installed already. We want to see if there is a straightforward way to install RTC client as a plugin into our existing eclipse client? We haven't found any document on how to do that yet. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

-Chengmin

When you run setup of RTC from the Installation Manager you should find the option to install RTC into the existing instance of Eclipse.

kind regards,
Jakub

permanent link
Chengmin Ding (161) | answered Apr 05 '09, 3:19 p.m.
Thanks Jakub.
I tried to install 1.0.1.1 via Installation Manager but got the following error in the "summary" screen so I cannot continue.

Bundle info id "org.apache.uima.deployeditor" doesn't match bundle state id "org.apache.uima.editors.dde".

Do you happen to know how to resolve this type of error?
btw, is using the Installation Manager the only way to install RTC into an existing eclipse client? Is there an update site that I can use to install RTC as an eclipse feature/plugin directly?

We are using Eclipse 3.3.2

-Chengmin

permanent link
Jakub Jurkiewicz (59632) | answered Apr 06 '09, 10:38 a.m.
Thanks Jakub.
I tried to install 1.0.1.1 via Installation Manager but got the following error in the "summary" screen so I cannot continue.

Bundle info id "org.apache.uima.deployeditor" doesn't match bundle state id "org.apache.uima.editors.dde".

Do you happen to know how to resolve this type of error?
btw, is using the Installation Manager the only way to install RTC into an existing eclipse client? Is there an update site that I can use to install RTC as an eclipse feature/plugin directly?

We are using Eclipse 3.3.2

-Chengmin

You can try to download the zip version of RTC (it is available in the All Downloads tab in the Downloads section) and try intall the RTC plugins manually.

Do you use "cleac" Eclipse? or with some additional plugins?

kind regards,
Jakub

permanent link
Chengmin Ding (161) | answered Apr 06 '09, 10:56 p.m.
We use eclipse with several plugins (e.g. JSF, Maven etc) and that is why we want to install RTC into this existing Eclipse. We have got the .zip file and do not know how to install this RTC as a plugin into eclipse. We tried to specify /client/eclipse folder as a local site in Find and Install. But after some installation no RTC related plugins are installed.

Any suggestions on how to manually install via eclipse will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Chengmin

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 07 '09, 12:01 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Chengmin,

I'd suggest to download the local installation (with Installation manager)
and use installation manager to install RTC into the existing Eclipse.
The other option is to install RTC and add all the plugins you need.

There used to be a TechNote on Jazz.Net talking about manually integrating
RTC with Rational Application Developer 7.5 beta that could have provided
some hints on how to manually create the links needed, but I can't find it
anymore.

Hope this helps,

Ralph

We use eclipse with several plugins (e.g. JSF, Maven etc) and that is
why we want to install RTC into this existing Eclipse. We have got
the .zip file and do not know how to install this RTC as a plugin into
eclipse. We tried to specify /client/eclipse folder as a local site in
Find and Install. But after some installation no RTC related plugins
are installed.

Any suggestions on how to manually install via eclipse will be highly
appreciated.

Thanks!

-Chengmin

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 07 '09, 12:21 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,

here is the link for RAD7.5 coexistance. the mechanism night helpo with installing
RTC into Eclipse too.

https://jazz.net/learn/tech-notes/TechNote.jsp?href=data/rtc-1_0-rad-7_5-coexistence/index.html

Ralph

Hello Chengmin,

I'd suggest to download the local installation (with Installation
manager)
and use installation manager to install RTC into the existing Eclipse.
The other option is to install RTC and add all the plugins you need.
There used to be a TechNote on Jazz.Net talking about manually
integrating RTC with Rational Application Developer 7.5 beta that
could have provided some hints on how to manually create the links
needed, but I can't find it anymore.

Hope this helps,

Ralph

We use eclipse with several plugins (e.g. JSF, Maven etc) and that is
why we want to install RTC into this existing Eclipse. We have got
the .zip file and do not know how to install this RTC as a plugin
into eclipse. We tried to specify /client/eclipse folder as a local
site in Find and Install. But after some installation no RTC related
plugins are installed.

Any suggestions on how to manually install via eclipse will be highly
appreciated.

Thanks!

-Chengmin

permanent link
Jakub Jurkiewicz (59632) | answered Apr 07 '09, 4:24 a.m.
We use eclipse with several plugins (e.g. JSF, Maven etc) and that is why we want to install RTC into this existing Eclipse. We have got the .zip file and do not know how to install this RTC as a plugin into eclipse. We tried to specify /client/eclipse folder as a local site in Find and Install. But after some installation no RTC related plugins are installed.

Any suggestions on how to manually install via eclipse will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Chengmin

Can you try to manually copy all the features and plugins from RTC to your instance of Eclipse? (it is better to do the copy of your Eclipse instance before messing up with the plugins!)

Please let me know about your results.

kind regards,
Jakub

permanent link
Chengmin Ding (161) | answered Apr 08 '09, 7:54 a.m.
Ralph, Jakub, thanks a lot for your replies.
I tried the approach Ralph suggested (manual install via local extension) and it worked like a charm! I actually was trying to do it before but didn't know where I should set the extension location since there are multiple entries in the jazz folder structure. It is good to know that we need to add the features one by one instead of using the /jazz/client etc as the extension location.

I didn't try to manually copy the folders from /jazz/client/... into my eclipse folder since I believe if I copy the feature individually, it would work. However the extensionlocation approach is better since it makes update easier in the future.

Really appreciate your help!

-Chengmin

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.