It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Importing workitems fails null value, workaround, can't handle all linktype fields

sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | asked Jan 13 '14, 11:33 a.m.
edited Jan 13 '14, 2:54 p.m.
 I am using 3.0.1.3 (I know, I know)

and have exported the 7,000 workitems I need to import into another server. 
I have exported/imported the project template and created the new project from that structure,
so I know the workitem layout is identical. 
I am copying all fields and links. this has been exported, and the iteration uses the internal id vs the string text.

on import about 3/4 of the way thru we get a crash, with the only explanation of 'null value'..
with all the comments, the csv file is pretty large (200k 'lines') and weirdly shaped. (npt all the workitems are symmetrical)

is there any way to debug where the issue is? I need to get this done.. it works fine without the comments and links data of course.. 

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jan 13 '14, 2:24 p.m.

Ok, 1 workitem, with all links  exported (has many children, found in build, )

the build objects do not exist on the new system. hmm

Andy Jewell commented Jan 13 '14, 2:39 p.m.

Have you tried importing the first 2/3s then cutting up the next imports into smaller chunks?  Theory here being that maybe the null is related to parsing a particular row.  If you can successfully import as much as you can (on both sides of the hypothetical bad row), then maybe you can find the root cause.

sam detweiler commented Jan 13 '14, 2:50 p.m.

removing the links from the export makes the import possible. 

now we have to extend our link fixer to handle the comments , as the exported comments are jammed into a single entry on import.

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 13 '14, 3:04 p.m.
Thanks Andy.. Yes I have it down to one workitem that fails. And removing the links content from the export allows it to work.  
Rosa Naranjo selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.