It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

updating custom report and templates in 150 projects

Kim Soederhamn (1.5k24247) | asked Nov 08 '13, 9:38 a.m.
Upgrading from 3.0.1 to 4.0.3 broke our custom BIRT reports. Now after they have been updated we need to replate the templates and reports in some 150 project areas. Is there an easy way to do this ?

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 08 '13, 9:41 a.m.

sadly, no.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Nov 08 '13, 10:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Kim, in 4.03, you can deploy all your custom report resources in one project area and have all other project areas import them. Once you do the import all you have to do is update the report resources in the source project area and all other project areas will get the updates automatically since they only store a soft link to the original report.

Unfortunately, for this to work, you will need to delete all the custom reports from the child project areas and re-import those using the following steps for each project area:

- Go to the WEB UI.

- Click the Reports drop down and choose: Report Resources.

- Delete the custom report resources you wish to refresh (this will delete all reports created using those resources)

- Click the button that says: "Deploy New Resources" when you hover on top of it.

- Choose the source project area where you deployed the new custom reports.

- Choose the reports you want to deploy and click deploy.

From now on any change to the report resources in the source project will be reflected in the child project area.

Kim Soederhamn selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 08 '13, 10:46 a.m.

but you have to do this one project at a time (times 150!).
AND its tedious to make sure you didn't make a mistake with all the steps on each project.

Rafik Jaouani commented Nov 08 '13, 10:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Sam. Yes you have to for now. But this is a one time step. What you could do is deploy the resources to the source project area, then may be ask each project owner to do the import. I think for future releases we need to provide a push operation that can push resources from one project to many. Bu right now the tool cannot do that.

sam detweiler commented Nov 08 '13, 11:03 a.m.

Thanks Rafik. that is why I said 'no'.. really need to have the Push.

in my prior company the systems admin team did all this, not the project owners,
as we didn't want to have to deal with training them on RTC config stuff, just the business processes.

do you know if there is an ER open on this topic already?

Rafik Jaouani commented Nov 08 '13, 11:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

There is no ER.

Ginny Ghezzo commented Nov 08 '13, 12:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Sam,
I assume you mean Request for Enhancement (RFE).  Here is the link if you want to submit it (or I can nag Kim to do it) . http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/?BRAND_ID=1

sam detweiler commented Nov 08 '13, 3:23 p.m.

Thanks Ginny,
there are multiple ways.. just wanted to make sure we mentioned that nothing has been written up yet. I don't have the pain at the moment, Kim does..

Kim Soederhamn commented Nov 12 '13, 6:55 a.m.

Hi Rafik,

I can't make it work

I have project area A
in witch all new report templates and new reports are created

Project Area B are inheriting process template from project A
i go to the report resources folder in eclipse and right click select "Deploy new resources"
In the pop up saying "select which project area or team area you whish to deploy the new resources to:"
I select the Project area B - click ok and no new resources can be found though I don not have hte same reports or report templates as Project Area A.

Guido Schneider commented Mar 24 '14, 4:20 p.m.

I have written the RFE. Maybe you can comment and vote.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=46556

sam detweiler commented Mar 24 '14, 4:23 p.m.

Thanks Guido.. 

I also posted a utility to your other question on how to do this until then

showing 5 of 9 show 4 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.