It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Query for listing all the work items, stories under an epic

Vishnu Kumar (2621627) | asked Oct 08 '13, 2:37 a.m.
Hello All,
             We have an epic which has many stories as a child... These stories have multiple work items as a child.... Is there a way to create query which list all the stories and work items under the epic...

We are looking for a query which outputs the whole tree under an epic....

Regards
Vishnu Kumar

Comments
Henning Sternkicker commented Oct 08 '13, 3:12 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The problem with such a query is, that you are not able to create filters that are deeper than one level, So you will be able to setup a query for an epic that has children, but not more. And, such a query will give you only the children.
What you are looking for is at least available in the RTC Eclipse client. You can query for the top level work item, the epic, and setup the display options of the query result view in that way that the links, like parent child, are displayed too (I guess it is on the right side of the view, under Settings.) Unfortunately such a dependency tree is not possible in the web client in RTC.

Vishnu Kumar commented Oct 08 '13, 3:22 a.m.

Thanks...I will try it out.... it will suffice our requirement i guess...

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Oct 08 '13, 3:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 08 '13, 3:44 a.m.
Create a Query with Condition on Type : Story
and Columns Display :  Parent |  ID |  Summary |  Children

Should get you that.

Below is a screen shot for reference :

I understand if you have multiple stories, the epics will still get listed multiple times and not a neat solution but hope you have something atleast...

and for a tree listing, I would go with plans like what Aradhya has suggested.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Aradhya K (1.4k44345) | answered Oct 08 '13, 2:58 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Vishnu

Have you tried using the Plans. The Plan view gets you the complete tree and a lot of other functionality as well. 
https://jazz.net/library/article/593 is a good getting started article on planning.

permanent link
Ankit Verma (9) | answered Nov 09 '16, 3:35 a.m.

Is there a way to find the Childrens for a given StoryId using Java Api of RTC?

Thanks

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 09 '16, 5:32 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

This is neither an answer, nor does asking a question on a at least three year old question with a totally different context seem to be a good idea.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.