It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using RTC Source Control disconnected from the network

Bruce Skingle (2345) | asked Sep 24 '13, 2:47 p.m.
I'm migrating from Eclipse/SVN to RTC and I work disconnected from the network a lot.

While disconnected I don't see any information about the SCM status of files in my workspace. With Subversion and other SCM options, you can still see which files have been edited and it is possible to discard changes and revert to the latest checked in version while disconnected.

1. Is it possible to get the same level of functionality with RTC and the repository on the (disconnected) server?
2. Is there an obvious option to deploy a server on my laptop and turn on distributed SCM or something like that?

Thanks in advance,
Bruce.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Sep 24 '13, 4:09 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Offline SCM isn't supported at all. The best you can get is seeing the last comparison in Pending Changes of your workspace to your flow target. Although, Pending Changes can show you files that have been edited or what it lasts knows to be checked-in, you can't perform any operations on your repository workspace. Even a compare of your current changes requires fetching the previous state from the server to show you the changes you made to the file.

However, Eclipse has a local file history. You can revert to previous states that it caches. Also, you can theoretically run a server locally and use distributed SCM. I don't know how well that would work running a server on the same machine as your development environment. It would depend on the specs of your laptop. Your server would also have to be the same version as your main server for compatibility. Initial replication of data to your server may take a while if you have a lot of changes stored in SCM. Most of your development can be seamless if you make it that far.
Bruce Skingle selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.