It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to upgrade & Migrate existing Jazz CLM 3.0.1.1 setup to CLM 4.0.4

Amar Shinde (111) | asked Sep 24 '13, 5:21 a.m.
retagged Sep 30 '13, 11:46 a.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)

Hello,

We are currently using Jazz CLM 3.0.1.1, and want to upgrade to the latest available CLM version of 4.0.4.

Our existing setup is described below.

Jazz CLM 3.0.1.1, All applications on 1 server per domain.(We have 2 domains where CLM is deployed).

Application Server: Tomcat 5

One database server for every domain, which hosts data for all CLM application deployments. We have seperate CLM deployment for each engagement.

Now we want to deploy CLM 4.0.4 for one engagement, which will be hosted on single server, and application server to be used is Websphere. i.e. topology will be as it is, but with CLM upgrade we also want to migrate the application server to Websphere.

What would be the best strategy to implement this upgrade & migration? I came to know that data can be migrated between CLM versions using repotools. I'm doing a test deployment first, is it a good strategy to Install the latest CLM 4.0.4 with Websphere application server, and only migrate the data using repotools?

Please help on this upgrade & migration.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Amar Shinde

2 answers

permanent link
Milan Krivic (98013176143) | answered Sep 24 '13, 7:10 a.m.
edited Sep 24 '13, 7:11 a.m.
 Hi Amar, 

here is the upgrade roadmap, so you can select which environment you have, and then you can generate instructions for your own:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m4/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.install.doc%2Ftopics%2Froadmap_clm_upgrade.html

Hope this helps!

Milan

Comments
Amar Shinde commented Sep 24 '13, 9:23 a.m.

Hello Milan,

Thank you for the response. I've gone through Interactive Upgrade Instructions. Since it involves upgrading to latest version on existing environment. What I'm interested to know is; Is it possible that I install the CLM 4.0.4 on a new server and only upgrade the database using repotools. I don't know much about repotools.

In that way I will have all the latest CLM server applications installed & deployed on Websphere, and only task will remian to upgrade the database. Is that the right approach?

Thanks again!

Amar

permanent link
Antoinette Iacobo (650712) | answered Sep 24 '13, 11:34 a.m.
Hi Amar, 

I don't understand in this migration why you wouldn't use the Upgrade Instructions suggested by Milan since it does consider if you can mount shared directories between servers.  But you can use repotools createTables and addTables to both move the repository from one database to another and upgrade it.  I would think using database vendor tools would be more efficient and then you can use the automated scripts.  

Keep in mind that you are not just installing CLM 4.0.4 on a new server, but copying all the configuration files, adjusting any database connection information, creating a new location and reference for the database driver (if applicable), and configuring the etc/hosts and/or DNS lookup to retain the public URI mapping.  

Lastly, I would suggest testing the migration sticking with Tomcat as the application server, then doing all the application testing, and then migrating to WebSphere, as a phased approach.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.