It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I remove an old attribute name from Work Items view, Column display settings?

Dave Evans (14812846) | asked Sep 19 '13, 7:28 p.m.

We have several old attributes which have been deprecated and removed from our work items. We know the old attributes remain in work items found in the repository. I don’t mind old attributes existing, but in the Eclipse client, in the Work Items view, there is a view menu (the little white down arrow). Inside the view menu, in the Columns submenu, there is a list of all the attributes which you can display. I would like this list to not show the old, removed attributes.

I found that the database contains a table called “com.ibm.team.workitem.attribute” which seems to contain a complete list of all attributes which have ever existed. Using information from this table, I identified all of the attributes which are no longer in use and “wrote” them down.

I then looked for work items (using the LIVE_WORKITEM_CNT table) in the database which had a key matching the old attribute id. In this way, I have identified the work items which contain the old attributes I would like to remove.

I was wholly expecting deleting these work items to remove the attribute name from the list; however the columns menu in the view menu of the Work Items view still displays the old attribute names.

All that said here is my question for the expert: Where does the list come from which populates that menu (Columns menu under the view menu of the Work Items view)? And if I were to able edit the said table, what other tables would need to be edited (and how) in order to not break everything?

Thanks!

One answer

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Sep 20 '13, 4:08 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello Dave,
assuming you archived the custom attributes you wanted to get rid of.
However, I guess these are still surface in the UI: more details in

Thanks,
Eric

Comments
Dave Evans commented Sep 20 '13, 10:30 a.m.

Thanks for the pointer to the work items. As far as I know, archiving attributes is not supported yet...

Do you know what table the Columns menu under the view menu of the Work Items view gets its contents from? I would really like to edit the database, if possible, to remove these items from visibility to the end user. I am already working to cleanse old work items which reference the deleted attributes, but there is apparently a table somewhere which the Eclipse client is retrieving the entries from to populate that "columns" list.

Eric Jodet commented Sep 20 '13, 12:46 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Dave,

well - attributes can be archived, as of 3.0 I think.
However, this is not surfaced in the UI (as mentioned in my first answer),
so they will show-up is various places, like in Queries or the Work Item view.
You may add your vote to the above feature and defect.

Thanks,
Eric.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.