It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Changing "workflow state" based on attribute value

vishnudharan manivannan (1183642) | asked Aug 19 '13, 5:00 a.m.
Hello All,

We have defined the complexity enumeration with values (not yet estimated , 0 ,1,2,3,5,8...)

We have a workflow state transition for user story.
Estimation Poker-----> # if Story Points isn’t equal to “not yet estimated” -----> Ready for Sprint

We would like to have a check before “Ready for Sprint” (marked in bold and italic).

If the field Story Points isn’t equal to “not yet estimated” after saving the workitem then the status should change automatically to Ready for Sprint from estimation poker.

Is this possible apart from writing extensions ? Is there any other way ?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 19 '13, 6:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 19 '13, 6:46 a.m.
Hi,

as far as I can tell, you would have to write an extension (a participant) to do this. The other option would be a Java Client that runs every now and then and automates.

I would probably not tie the automatic state change to just one attribute, in fact, I would probably propose a completely other solution. I would make "not yet estimated" the unassigned literal and make the attribute mandatory for the "Ready For Sprint" state.

In addition, the decision to change the state should be a conscious decision that is done by some role during an activity. I am not sure it is a good idea to reflect activities like "Planning Poker" or "Ready for Sprint" as a state of the work item.

The way this is meant to be done in RTC is to plan a work item for an iteration (e.g. the sprint backlog or another iteration used to collect the items considered to go into the next sprint). All the items in this iteration can be presented by a query or a plan and then you can perform your planning poker on them. Once the estimation is done, you can plan the work items for the sprint they are proposed to be executed in.

vishnudharan manivannan selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
vishnudharan manivannan commented Aug 19 '13, 7:51 a.m.

Thanks Ralph, I realized it is not the way it is meant to be however our process is designed in such a way that we have designed the workflow in this manner. Making the attribute mandatory for "ready for sprint" was also a very good solution! Thanks again!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.