It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC installtion for different geography users

SMitha kumari (245254) | asked Jun 24 '13, 12:54 a.m.

Hi Team,

We would like to install Jazz ALM for multiple geography users like English, Spanish, Japanese, Finish etc. What is the best approach?

- Install Jazz with English & inform the users to use with language options in browser and Eclipse plugin

or - Install Jazz with multi language?

Regards,
Smitha

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jun 24 '13, 3:11 a.m. | edited Jun 24 '13, 5:26 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Smitha,

this is a good question and I'd like to see input from users that have done it.

I usually want my Set up to be English only. So I don't install language packs.
I tell my server to be an English server (-Duser.language=en as property in server.startup), I tell my clients to be English (-Duser.language=en in eclipse.ini, scm.ini, jbe.ini) and I have my browser language set to English as well.

My experience was that if I have my server speaking English and my clients German, I got a mixture of languages and I am also not used to the German terms really, that is why I set everything to English. Mixing of languages is probably also an issue if you have to support such a deployment.

One answer

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Jun 24 '13, 5:48 a.m.
I didn't use it in practice, only for troubleshooting, but, what I'd do if I were on your place,
I would install the server with all the languages available, and tell the end users to use the language options in the browser to display the interface in their native language. Eclipse is not an issue, you can install the language extensions at any point if necessary.

Having said that, I cannot agree more with Ralph's remark about the added complexity with using multiple language clients. One thing that you should absolutely do, in my opinion, is to at least have the server generate logs in English. That will enable you to search through knowledge bases a lot easier, should an error occur.

The log language is determined by the -nl java parameter, as well as the server OS locale, depending on which log and which message are we talking about.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.