It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Request for feedback on FAQs (and proposed answers) (2 of 3)

Paul Sims (31513421) | asked Dec 14 '08, 6:52 p.m.
Please see topic https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3062 for the context of my posting. This is the second topic of three.

Q5. As a manager I want to know how to interpret the burn-down chart so that I can use it to predict when work will be finished.
A5. The text of this answer comes from the burndown report explanation. I added clarification about the x- and y-axes.] The burndown report plots the remaining backlog of work in terms of the time estimated to complete it. The "y" axis is hours of remaining work and the "x" axis is the days in the sprint. Agile development methodologies such as Scrum use a burndown report to plot the daily progress toward the end of a sprint. Ideally, the chart will show a trend toward zero hours of remaining work as the sprint comes to a close. Only work items that are open and in progress and that have an estimate specified are included in the calculation. Watch for a burndown trend that does not approach zero. This may indicate unrealistic planning estimates.

Q6. As a ScrumMaster I want to easily move a set of sprint tasks back to the product backlog using "Plan for" so that I don't have to manually open each task and modify the "Planned For" field.
A6. I don't have a good answer. I think this is working as designed, and it's not convenient to move work from a sprint backlog to a team's Product Backlog. I can see my releases when I open a task and select the "Planned For" field drop-down. Selecting a task in the sprint backlog then right-clicking on it an selecting "Plan for" doesn't show the releases.]

Q7. As a ScrumMaster I want to see what tasks my team members are working on today so that so I can help re-prioritize my team members' tasks when a new task is added to the team's sprint backlog (e.g., investigate a customer problem).
A7. Create a work item query that displays work items "Filed Against" your team's backlog and whose "Modified Date" is "Today." Is there a better way to identify tasks that are in section "Today" of each team member's "My Work" viewlet? What is "Start Date" supposed to return when set to "Today?" It doesn't seem to return what I expect.]

Q8. As a ScrumMaster I want to see what tasks my team members completed yesterday so that I can catch up if I miss a Scrum meeting.
A8. Create a work item query that displays work items "Filed Against" your team's backlog and whose "Resolution Date" is "Yesterday."

Paul Sims
IBM WebSphere Commerce

2 answers

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Dec 15 '08, 1:15 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Q6. As a ScrumMaster I want to easily move a set of sprint tasks back to the product backlog using "Plan for" so that I don't have to manually open each task and modify the "Planned For" field.
A6. I don't have a good answer. I think this is working as designed, and it's not convenient to move work from a sprint backlog to a team's Product Backlog. I can see my releases when I open a task and select the "Planned For" field drop-down. Selecting a task in the sprint backlog then right-clicking on it an selecting "Plan for" doesn't show the releases.
]
You can drag and drop from one plan to another. Not entirely intuitive (unless you use Eclipse a lot) how to do this. Open both plans in the Editor pane. Grab the tab of one and drag towards the bottom of the screen. When you see a large rectangle appear, it is a preview of where the Editor will paint itself -- release the mouse button. Now you'll see the Sprint backlog and Product backlog, both open and visible. Multi-select the tasks (or just grab the Story, if appropriate) and drag to the target plan. If you drag a task with children, you will probably get a Message Box asking if you want all of the children re-planned also. Click Yes or OK.

Q7. As a ScrumMaster I want to see what tasks my team members are working on today so that so I can help re-prioritize my team members' tasks when a new task is added to the team's sprint backlog (e.g., investigate a customer problem).
A7. Create a work item query that displays work items "Filed Against" your team's backlog and whose "Modified Date" is "Today." Is there a better way to identify tasks that are in section "Today" of each team member's "My Work" viewlet? What is "Start Date" supposed to return when set to "Today?" It doesn't seem to return what I expect.
]
Another way is to use the "Planned Time" item from the Group By dropdown on the Iteration Plan. It will show the work by Owner and in the order the owner plans to complete the work. This requires your owners to use the My Work view to plan their work, but if they do that, anyone can see what everyone has planned for Today (and the order of tasks for coming days). Not sure, but you might be able to re-plan someone's work for them from that view if you need a task bumped up the list.

permanent link
Paul Sims (31513421) | answered Dec 17 '08, 11:29 a.m.
Thanks for your reply Millard. Both tips are very helpful.

I verified that a ScrumMaster can change the order of a team member's tasks after selecting "Planned Time" on the "Group by" drop-down.

You are also right in assuming that RTC asks if you want to reassign children of work items (Stories, Tasks) when you drag and drop. The valid responses are Yes, No, and Cancel.

Paul Sims
IBM WebSphere Commerce

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.