It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the recommended practice for storing multi-level test results in RQM?

Dick Wallace (1111) | asked May 30 '13, 12:35 p.m.
retagged May 31 '13, 3:25 p.m. by Laura W. Hinson (16126)
We have a test harness that runs suites of tests. Suite definitions are stored in source control, because they can vary from release to release. Within a test, there can be multiple test cases (similar to JUnit). (Note that this use of the term "test case" has a different meaning than in RQM.)

We would like to do the follow:
  • Invoke the harness with a named suite from within RQM (presumably using a TER?) (We can do this today.)
  • When the test completes, import the test results for the full hierarchy of suite/test/test case
  • Have the test results sent to the warehouse, for analysis and reporting
  • Run reports on the various levels (summary of suite or test or test case results)
  • Be able to navigate from a suite failure to the corresponding test(s) that failed and then to the corresponding test cases that failed

We have an adaptor working that will invoke the harness and import test results. However, we are only getting a single test result at the moment (for the overall suite) and not for the underlying test and test case details.

Comments
paul chu commented May 31 '13, 3:59 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am a UI developer and from the UI, the Result Details section of a test suite execution result are the execution results of the individual test cases within the test suite.  You should be able to identify which test case(s) failed within the failed test suite.  What exactly is the "test cases" within a test if they are not the QM test case artifacts?

Dick Wallace commented May 31 '13, 4:24 p.m.

I don't think we can use RQM suites. As I described, our suites are defined in our test harness, outside of RQM. (Unless RQM lets me define a suite without assigning any tests to it and have those associations created when results are loaded.) Our test harness "tests" are what RQM calls "test cases". Our test harness "test cases" are sub-tests within a test (either from JUnit, GTest, or similar.) They are name-scoped to the test.

Deepa Doraswamy commented Jun 03 '13, 7:23 a.m. | edited Jun 03 '13, 7:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Which adapter are you using and what is the version of RQM?
Thanks,
Deepa

Dick Wallace commented Jun 03 '13, 7:44 a.m.

We wrote our own adapter. RQM version is 4.0.1.

One answer

permanent link
Deepa Doraswamy (4712) | answered Jun 04 '13, 6:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Dick,
The behavior is, if the suites have the testcases in RQM, then the results for the individual testcases that are part of the suite show up in the suite result.
Thanks,
Deepa

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.