It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Not all Changes in Master reflect in child projects' configuration section

Pavithra Kasturirangan (42956056) | asked May 27 '13, 2:38 a.m.
 Hi,

We have the Master-Child projects setup.I'm inheriting all "Configuration Data" from the Master by selecting "Final" on the Master.
Now, i create a new attribute on the Master Project. On refresh, when i look into the process configuration of workitems in the Child projects, the new attribute is visible.
I create a new state, rename an action, add a resolution ,..on the master. On refresh/restart RTC , i check the child projects. these changes are not available in the children. However, when i check the workitems belonging to the children projects, they seem to have the Master changes. The project doesn't include those changes in the process configuration, but the workitems are looking at the process of the Master.

Why only the new attributes replicate on the children projects' configuration section and not the others ? Please let me know if this is right.

2 answers

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered May 27 '13, 5:04 a.m.
As far as I know, when you make a part of the process configuration "Final" in the master PA, the same part of the process configuration in Child PAs are ignored.
If you have selected to customize the configuration data on the Child PA sections (for example workflows) and made the same section final in Master PA, the changes done in master PA doesn't seem to reflect in child PA, as it is ignored.
I also think it is contradictory to make a process configuration final in Master and try to customize the same part of the process in child PA.

You may want to go through the ProcessSharing FAQ

Comments

Pavithra Kasturirangan commented May 27 '13, 6:46 a.m. | edited May 27 '13, 4:35 p.m.
Thank you Indradri and Ralph for the links

It is right that the consumers are inheriting the process from the Master. My doubt is then why only the types and attributes section update the latest changes of the Master on the children and why not the others under Workitems section of ConfigurationData ( although the workitems rights point the latest process from the Master )

Indradri Basu commented May 27 '13, 8:25 a.m. | edited May 27 '13, 4:36 p.m.

I am not aware of any clear description available for this but I guess this depends on how the interface of each section of the configuration data behaves or pulls different information. But when we know that a particular section is marked Final in Master, then for that section the child process is anyway ignored and what is reflecting there is not accounted.
However, if you notice that the Child PA is not functioning as per the Master PA process then that should be  concerning. I would still suggest you to go through the links we mentioned, if you have not already.

Pavithra Kasturirangan commented May 27 '13, 8:35 a.m.

Hi Indradri, What i mean here is that i create a new attribute call Test Date in Master project, then the child project also has this new attribute added to the Types and Attributes Section automatically. However, if i remove a presentation from Workitem Editor presentation or rename a state in Workflow/Action, these changes do not reflect on the Child project area. The child project workitems show the changes as per the Master. 

My query here is to understand if this is how it works for all or if this is not an expected behaviour.

Indradri Basu commented May 27 '13, 1:58 p.m. | edited May 27 '13, 4:35 p.m.

You have probably choose to customize the configuration data of the consumer/child PA and if you hadn't done so, nothing of child PA would be visible to you and that created probably created the confusion. I think this is working as expected.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 27 '13, 4:46 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
From your question, it appears that you are making no changes to the Process Configuration of the Child project areas ... is that right?   If you are not changing the Process Configuration of the Child project area, then the Child project area should be seeing the changes to the Master project area (including removing presentations and renaming states), and if you are not, then please work with support to get a Defect filed (or file one directly yourself on jazz.net).   On the other hand, if you are making any changes to the Process Configuration of the Child project area, then there is a good chance you will be seeing somewhat confusing behavior.

Comments
Pavithra Kasturirangan commented May 27 '13, 11:25 p.m.

Hi Geoffrey, I don't make any changes on the child projects other than adding members, adding the advisors,operation behaviour specific to the project. When i added the new attributes on the Master, i saw them part of the children project on refresh, But changes like workflow, modifying resolutions, do not reflect on the process configuration section of the children but the workitems belonging to the children reflect the changes done on the Master..

Geoffrey Clemm commented May 28 '13, 12:09 a.m.

I see ... you are referring to what you actually see in the process guidance section of the child project area.   Currently, the inherited process guidance is not displayed there, but I agree that it should be.   I've submitted work item The "effective" process configuration should be displayed in a project area that shares its process from another project area (266799) requesting that behavior.

Pavithra Kasturirangan commented May 28 '13, 12:30 a.m.

Thank you, Geoff. This was what was worrying me. Wanted to find out if this was the behaviour for all or if i was only getting it wrong on my setup.

Pavithra Kasturirangan commented Jun 04 '13, 2:28 a.m.

Now, assume that for some reasons, the Master-Consumer relationship breaks.

How do we create a new Master template when not all changes of Master get updated in the process configuration source of the consumer ? We lose the changes done on the master and can't use the template of the consumer at this stage to create a new Master 

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 10 '13, 12:27 a.m.

Are looking for a way to create a process template for the "effective" process of the consumer project area (i.e. the overlay of the consumer process configuration on the master process configuration)?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.