It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Jazz-RTC and SVN commit hooks

Greg Smith (31126) | asked Dec 08 '08, 2:26 p.m.
We are currently using a SVN / Bugzilla development workflow, and using SCMBUG to integrate our SVN and Bugzilla.

We are interested in moving over to a SVN / Jazz-RTC workflow, so that we can take advantage of the capabilities of RTC.

I have read the documents on integrating SVN with an RTC workflow, by linking workitems and svn, available here: https://jazz.net/jazzdocs/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.team.scm.svn.doc/topics/c_intro.html

We have some problems with this though, so I'm hoping someone will be able to help us fill the holes that the current solution provides:

1) Not all of our developers use Eclipse. Many (1/2 or so) use the svn command line client almost exclusively, with several other tools as their development platforms for writing code.

2) We do not want any commits to svn that are not associated with workitems.

From the instructions provided, it does not look like these install any type of SVN pre-commit hooks to force a user to associate a commit with a work item.

We need a solution that at least provides the following:
- cannot commit to svn unless the commit is associated with a work item, ala "svn commit -m "workitem 1111: Committing the new X feature""

- can add these comments to the workitem in RTC, like SCMBUG does

Has this been done before? Have others, with similar development requirements, implemented this type of SVN<->RTC integration? It seems pretty light, considering the way other solutions have achieved it (like SCMBUG). I have even thought about extending SCMBUG to provided this, but didn't want to go down this path until I asked the community.

Thanks,
Greg

2 answers

permanent link
Greg Smith (31126) | answered Jan 06 '09, 9:57 a.m.
OK -- I still haven't gotten any replies on this message, so I'll add something myself.

I've been looking at SCMBUG, and it has a pretty nice way of adding new bug tracking systems backends. Basically, you change a couple of config files, and you implement a couple of glue methods to get the info you need from your bug tracking system. There are examples, using bugzilla, of the info you need to pull out.

I have two problems:
1) I don't know how to best go about getting the required info from Jazz -- even though its a small amount.
2) Its written in Perl, which I don't know too well, and makes it not easy to interface to Jazz.

If I use the java api library, then I have to write a bunch of glue code between perl and some kind of customized Jazz cli I write in java. Or, I can try to get all of the info I need from REST, which adds other complications.

I would really like to get the Jazz team's help on this one -- I think it would be a great incubation project, and I'm willing to put some skin in the game to get this working if you guys are interested. We can't be the only team that is trying to move to Jazz that needs this kind of SVN <-> TeamConnection integration before we can think about moving more function over.

Cheers,
Greg

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Jan 08 '09, 2:18 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Greg,

You probably haven't gotten any replies because the subject of your post
seems related to SCM but the content relates to work items. There are
two approaches you could take. You can either repost your question with
a subject line something like "How do I interface Jazz Work Items to
SCMBUG?" or you could log an enhancement request against the Jazz work
item component requesting the API you need (or do both). It is possible
that there are work item REST APIs in existence that you can use but I
don't for sure.

Michael

gregsmit wrote:
OK -- I still haven't gotten any replies on this message, so I'll add
something myself.

I've been looking at SCMBUG, and it has a pretty nice way of adding
new bug tracking systems backends. Basically, you change a couple of
config files, and you implement a couple of glue methods to get the
info you need from your bug tracking system. There are examples,
using bugzilla, of the info you need to pull out.

I have two problems:
1) I don't know how to best go about getting the required info from
Jazz -- even though its a small amount.
2) Its written in Perl, which I don't know too well, and makes it not
easy to interface to Jazz.

If I use the java api library, then I have to write a bunch of glue
code between perl and some kind of customized Jazz cli I write in
java. Or, I can try to get all of the info I need from REST, which
adds other complications.

I would really like to get the Jazz team's help on this one -- I think
it would be a great incubation project, and I'm willing to put some
skin in the game to get this working if you guys are interested. We
can't be the only team that is trying to move to Jazz that needs this
kind of SVN <-> TeamConnection integration before we can think
about moving more function over.

Cheers,
Greg

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.