It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Document upload issues. Format is distorted completely

V Niranjan (12545274) | asked Apr 26 '13, 4:16 a.m.
Hi All

I have uploaded a word document ( .docx format ) in to  RRC 4.0.1. After uploading and converting the format is completely distorted.

Any ideas on how to upload/ import the document and retain the formatting.

Regards
Niranjan

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Apr 26 '13, 4:31 a.m. | edited Apr 29 '13, 2:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Niranjan,

make sure to share the document as Mime Type Application with Line delimiter Binary. Otherwise you might run into issues with encoding.

V Niranjan commented Apr 26 '13, 9:37 p.m.

Hi Ralph

The document is only uploaded in RRC and not shared to Jazz Source Control.

The issue is only in RRC.

Regards
V.Niranjan

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 29 '13, 2:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Sorry for misreading Niranjan.

Chase Patterson commented Apr 29 '13, 5:39 p.m.

Hey Niranjan,

Some content in word documents is not supported.  In such cases, we handle the content as best as we can.  It's difficult to say exactly what may be the case here without a screenshot or a file that can reproduce the issue. 

In the import wizard, there is a section the notes the limitations.  You have to click on "Limitations" text in the import wizard for it to be displayed.  My gut feeling here is that this document contains an OLE embedded Visio diagram with the chart in it.  This is one of the known limitations.  Are some lines missing?  

3 answers

permanent link
My-An Nguyen (2963) | answered Apr 29 '13, 5:24 p.m.
Generally, the formatting should be preserved (as best as an automatic process can handle) and converted to XHTML, but it is possible that there are some Word elements that the tool isn't handling well during the conversion. It is hard to pinpoint what design element exactly is causing trouble without testing with the document itself.

Does this happen for all documents or just that one? From the small image that you attached, it looks like some sort of flow-chart? Was that made entirely within Word?

permanent link
V Niranjan (12545274) | answered Apr 30 '13, 4:00 a.m.
Hi

Yes the diagrams are copied from VISIO. So do we need to copy the VISIO diagrams to MSPAINT and save it in some other format that upload to RRC.

The headers and footers are also not visible.

Regards
V.Niranjan

Comments
Chase Patterson commented Apr 30 '13, 10:16 a.m.

Hey Niranjan,

If you want it to show up in RRC, you just need to save the Visio drawing to a graphic format that we can handle.  I suggest exporting the drawing to a .png file.  I don't think you necessarily have to copy it to paint, but that may work as well depending on how you do it. 

Is there a way to save as a png and/or export to that file format?  If so, just import that file to RRC in place of the image that gets put into RRC by default.

permanent link
V Niranjan (12545274) | answered Apr 30 '13, 10:48 a.m.
Hi

Yes I guess I copied to paint and did a paste in the document as a object. I then uploaded the document to RRC and was fine.

The only thing is that the customer may or may not agree to this since it may involve converting lot of such diagrams.

Anyway will try to convince the customer. Thanks a lot for your replies.

Regards
V.Niranjan

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.