It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to disconnect the component between different projects

Kevin Lou (311925) | asked Apr 10 '13, 2:15 p.m.
 I am trying to create a new project (Project_New) with the latest code in an old project (Project_Old) - to train the new developers to get familiar with the code . Here is what I am trying to do: 
  - Create a snapshot for the dev stream of Project_Old
  - Open the snapshot
  - Create a new stream (under Project_New) using the snapshot. 

However, I noticed that the components are actually "shared". For example, if I rename the component in Project_New (Or I change the owner of the component), the one in Project_Old is also changed. Is there a way to disconnect the components in the two projects? i.e., I'd like to totally treat them as separated projects. 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Apr 10 '13, 3:05 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The component name affects all instances of the component. The name should represent what is stored in it, not the version of what is stored. When the component is in a stream or workspace, it can have different configurations of change sets. That configuration doesn't necessarily have to be a certain version.

If you really want a different component name, you can create a new component. However, you have to copy the contents to the new component and you will lose history and merging changes to the old component isn't possible.
Kevin Lou selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kevin Lou commented Apr 10 '13, 3:47 p.m.

Yes, I want different component name so I think I will have to create the component and load the files to it - Load the source to a workspace and then share it with the new component. Is there an easier way to do that, i.e., without loading the code to my workspace?

Tim Mok commented Apr 10 '13, 4:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, you'll have to do that. It's a share into a new component. There isn't a way to duplicate a component without loading the content.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.