It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Apply changes to Editor Presentation to current and future work items

Margaret Smith (21255) | asked Apr 09 '13, 1:23 p.m.
I have not been able to get RTC to apply changes to an Editor Presentation to current and future work items and am looking for advice. What I did was the following:

1. I created custom attributes and then modified the default editor presentation by adding the custom attributes and deleting some standard attributes.
  2. I created several work items of the type that use the editor presentation that I just modified. These work items look just as I expected -- they look like the modified Editor Presentation.
  3. I then realized that I forgot several important custom attributes. I created and added definitions for the custom attributes and the re-modified the default editor presentation by adding the newly created custom attributes.I saved the default editor presentation and did not receive an error message.
  4. I opened an existing work item that uses the Editor Presentation. The newly added attributes do not appear. I created a new work item, and the newly added attributes do not appear.
My question is, what steps do I need to take to have my modified Editor Presentation applied to existing and future work items?

Comments
Kevin Ramer commented Apr 09 '13, 1:58 p.m.

I've found that stuff is cached for a while after the process configuration is changed.  Try a fresh browser session with your RTC repository ( logout / login is usually sufficient).  

Margaret Smith commented Apr 09 '13, 2:02 p.m.

I've tried logging out and in. I actually made the change early last week, so I have logged in and out many times since then. But thanks!

Margaret Smith commented Apr 11 '13, 12:43 p.m.

Just wanted to close the loop on this question/answers and let you know about a potential problem I encountered.

Using the Eclipse client I created a query, found the WIs I wanted to synchronize and invoked the synchronize feature ... but nothing happened.
I decided to start over. On the web app, I deleted the custom attributes I had added to the presentation, saved, then re-added the attributes. ... story continued in next comment....

Margaret Smith commented Apr 11 '13, 12:43 p.m.

As I was re-adding the attributes, I noticed that in the list of attributes for my work item type, the custom attribute I had added to the default WI Editor Presentation was not present in that list. I then figured out that although I had created the custom attribute, I also needed to assign it to the work item type, which I had not done. I think because Editor Presentations are project level things, I could add a Project level custom attribute to an Editor Presentation. But because the work item type didn't know about the Project level custom attribute, my attempts to synch with the Editor Presentation did not result in the work item thereafter containing the custom attribute. I am kind of surprised that the synch operation doesn't report on this type of inconsistency, if this is what is really going on. Can someone comment on whether I am write about what happened here, and should I be filing an enhancement request to produce a warning when attributes used on an Editor Presentation are not known to a work item type? I think this is a rather subtle thing for a user to figure out without a warning. I only discovered it by accident.

3 answers

permanent link
Dejan Custic (2855) | answered Apr 10 '13, 10:20 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
FYI, the procedure for synchronizing attributes is also documented at the end of this Help topic https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_defining_types.html

Comments
Eric Jodet commented Apr 10 '13, 10:28 a.m. | edited Apr 10 '13, 10:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

lazy me - preferring to write the steps rather than  searching the reference to the Infocenter.

thanks Dejan

Margaret Smith commented Apr 10 '13, 5:11 p.m.

I don't work in the Eclipse client. I tried to replicate your instructions in the web client and could not find an option for 'synchronizing attributes'. When is this capability going to be added to the web client?

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Apr 10 '13, 1:12 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello Margaret,
from the Eclipse Client, create a query that will return the work items you need to sync up
run the query
bulk select all work items
right-click the "work item type" column - most left-hand by default
in the pop-up menu, select "Synchronize Attributes"

This will sync' up work items with the new presentation, attributes.

(this has to be performed for ALL existing work items impacted by some modifications you may have performed around the work item attributes / presentation)

Hope it helps.
Eric.

permanent link
Daniel Toczala (88211514) | answered Apr 11 '13, 3:50 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 You can do it in the Jazz Plain Java client.  Just check out Ralph Schoon's blog post on Using an Expression to Synchronize Attributes for Work items of a Specific Type   That would allow you to do this without needing the Eclipse client.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.