It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to ignore some file changes when triggering the build

Kevin Lou (311925) | asked Apr 02 '13, 12:27 p.m.
Our build requires to update a property file (contains build time and build number) then deliver the file back to SCM (same stream) after the build. This will cause a problem that the scheduled build is always kicked off because RTC always detects changes in the stream. Is there a way to tell RTC not to trigger the build if the change occurs in some certain files (I know that there is such option in the Dependency Build)?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Apr 02 '13, 4:51 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I don't think build definitions can ignore a file. I can suggest some ways that you could still do this without triggering unwanted builds:

1. Keep the property file in another component. Don't load this component as part of the build. Load it using ant tasks and the CLI to update the file and deliver the change.
2. Switch from continuous builds to a scheduled build (ie. x times a day). It'll always build but you won't constantly have a build running.
3. Create a second stream for the property file. The build can update the second stream with post-build deliver.
4. Switch to custom scripts using the CLI and determine if you need to continue the build or not.
Kevin Lou selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.