It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

IBM Rational Quality Manager integration with RTC?

Karsten Silz (1675) | asked Nov 20 '08, 10:50 a.m.
Hello!

I know that the IBM Rational Quality Manager will be out soon and it will be based on Jazz. It essentially manages test cases and their execution, in a broad term.

Now the big question to me is the IBM Rational Quality Manager integrated with RTC so that I can create test case based on work items in RTC? Say, I have my user stories / use cases defined in RTC. I want to pull them up in IBM Rational Quality Manager and then define one or more test cases per RTC work item. Will that be possible?

Karsten Silz

4 answers

permanent link
Sudhakar Frederick (80113631) | answered Nov 20 '08, 3:22 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I've had a brief look at RQM and on the face of it it appears that yes, what you ask is possible. Though RQM has "custom" constructs such as Test Suite, Plan, Case etc., RQM Requirements are Jazz WIs which can be linked to Test Cases and Test Plans. The RQM "Quality Manager" Process TEmplate does have this (Requirement" WI defined in addition to Task, Defect and a few others, but not Story.
So bigger issue is RQM Jazz Server/ RTC Team Server interop. I don't know if they can work together or if you can simply deploy the RTC process templates (Agile, Eclipse Way etc.) into an RQM installed Jazz Server and use it as you would a "normal" Jazz Server.

Someone from the RQM team might be able to answer this better ..
Freddy

Hello!

I know that the IBM Rational Quality Manager will be out soon and it will be based on Jazz. It essentially manages test cases and their execution, in a broad term.

Now the big question to me is the IBM Rational Quality Manager integrated with RTC so that I can create test case based on work items in RTC? Say, I have my user stories / use cases defined in RTC. I want to pull them up in IBM Rational Quality Manager and then define one or more test cases per RTC work item. Will that be possible?

Karsten Silz

permanent link
Karsten Silz (1675) | answered Nov 20 '08, 6:01 p.m.
So bigger issue is RQM Jazz Server/ RTC Team Server interop. I don't know if they can work together or if you can simply deploy the RTC process templates (Agile, Eclipse Way etc.) into an RQM installed Jazz Server and use it as you would a "normal" Jazz Server.

You have to install them on different servers:
https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2609&highlight=rational+quality+manager

So there definitely has to be explicit integration. From looking at RQM, they have requirements and defects and test cases. At least for most cases, the requirements are work items in RTC (such as a "Log in" use case). Now the test cases can live in RTC DB, but the defects need to go into RTC as well because they need to be fixed in the code.

So what I don't want is do duplicate work items as requirements from RTC to RTQM and then duplicate work items as defects from RQM to RTC. Jazz has all these nice REST APIs, so RQM can at least technically poll the RTC database for a list of requirement work items. And maybe showing work items, RTC would also show defects registered in RQM. This way, the work items would live in their own databases, but it would be transparent for all users because the servers are integrated under the hood.

Karsten

permanent link
Yvon Leclerc (4665) | answered Nov 21 '08, 1:24 p.m.
It seems someone has started to think about this integration. See https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RtcIntegration

I hope the 2 servers can share the same platform so we do not need to maintain/backup a 2nd server.

permanent link
Erich Gamma (18687) | answered Nov 21 '08, 6:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
yleclerc wrote:
It seems someone has started to think about this integration. See
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RtcIntegration
We have actually demoed an exploration of an RQM, RRC, RTC integration

two weeks ago at the VOICE of the customer event. We will make a
recording of the demo available on jazz.net.

--erich
Rational Team Concert PMC

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.