It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Change sets created for build definition updates

Alex Mulholland (712111) | asked Nov 14 '08, 11:27 a.m.
We are using Jazz source control (GA) and have a number of components containing source in our project. I have updated one of our build definitions, and this has resulted in an incoming change for every component in the Pending Changes view. The change contains no updated files, and is titled like:
300: Alpine Test Build Definition_<date><time>
We don't get these change sets created when other build definitions are updated.

Is this expected, and what purpose does it serve?

4 answers

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44251) | answered Nov 14 '08, 1:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Updating a build definition should not cause any changes in source control. What changes did you make?

Are the incoming changes change sets or baselines? Is it possible that you ran a build that created baselines in each component? If so, those baselines would show up as incoming when you look at Pending Changes in your workspace.

Martha
Jazz Developer

permanent link
Alex Mulholland (712111) | answered Nov 19 '08, 12:52 p.m.
The changes were to the load directory and the build target. I did run a build, but I don't know what causes baselines to be created. Another quirk we noticed after my original post was that a real code change set (associated with a specific WI) was shown in the Pending Changes view as one of these 'build definition' change sets.

permanent link
Ryan Manwiller (1.3k1) | answered Nov 19 '08, 4:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you have set your pending changes view to flow with the build workspace
(this would be unusual) or if your build definition is pointing directly at
your main development stream, you may be seeing incoming baselines because
when a build is performed, a baseline is created for each component in the
build workspace.

You might benefit from the discussion here:

https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2634

---
Ryan Manwiller
Jazz Team

permanent link
Alex Mulholland (712111) | answered Nov 20 '08, 1:49 p.m.
Thanks Ryan, while we had moved our main build definition to point at the 'builder's' repo workspace, this definition for testing build changes was still pointed at the main stream. Mystery solved :-)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.