It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DB2 "ROOT CAPABILITY REQUIRED;" Error

Andy Meneely (26132) | asked Oct 08 '08, 3:47 p.m.
I am installing Jazz with DB2 on a RHEL5 system. I installed DB2 v9.5 Express C with no problems and migrated our previous Jazz database to the current DB2 installation. When I start the Jazz server (or use sudo repotools.sh -verify), I get the following error:

DB2 SQL error: SQLCODE: -30082, SQLSTATE: 08001, SQLERRMC: 42;ROOT CAPABILITY REQUIRED;

Now I installed DB2 with root access, so the installation should be a "root installation". The DB2 user db2inst1, however, does not have root access, but that situation has worked with other Jazz installations in the past. I can even log in as db2inst1 and connect to the database locally with no problem:

db2inst1@ourserver$ db2 connect to jazz with db2inst1 using <correctpassword>

By looking up the SQLCODE and the error code in the DB2 manual, the resolution is to enable root features for a non-root installation using the program db2rfe. I cannot find this binary anywhere in our DB2 installation. Here's the link for that:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9r5/topic/com.ibm.db2.luw.messages.sql.doc/doc/msql30082n.html

I realize that this is a DB2 configuration question, so if there's a better forum to post this on, please point me in the right direction.

I probably don't have to say this, but getting our Jazz server back up and running is very important right now. Help!

5 answers

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Oct 09 '08, 5:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,
I guess you're facing a similar issue as the one described in:
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Jazz%20Project#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=49986

Also found some information in the DB2 Information Center:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9r5/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.luw.qb.server.doc/doc/c0050568.html

I guess that db2rfe should be part of your installation.

Eric.

andy.meneely a crit :
I am installing Jazz with DB2 on a RHEL5 system. I installed DB2 v9.5
Express C with no problems and migrated our previous Jazz database to
the current DB2 installation. When I start the Jazz server (or use
sudo repotools.sh -verify), I get the following error:

DB2 SQL error: SQLCODE: -30082, SQLSTATE: 08001, SQLERRMC: 42;ROOT
CAPABILITY REQUIRED;

Now I installed DB2 with root access, so the installation should be a
"root installation". The DB2 user db2inst1, however, does
not have root access, but that situation has worked with other Jazz
installations in the past. I can even log in as db2inst1 and connect
to the database locally with no problem:

db2inst1@ourserver$ db2 connect to jazz with db2inst1 using
correctpassword

By looking up the SQLCODE and the error code in the DB2 manual, the
resolution is to enable root features for a non-root installation
using the program db2rfe. I cannot find this binary anywhere in our
DB2 installation. Here's the link for that:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9r5/topic/com.ibm.db2.luw.messages.sql.doc/doc/msql30082n.html

I realize that this is a DB2 configuration question, so if there's a
better forum to post this on, please point me in the right direction.

I probably don't have to say this, but getting our Jazz server back up
and running is very important right now. Help!

permanent link
Andy Meneely (26132) | answered Oct 09 '08, 3:34 p.m.
Just to be sure, I completely uninstalled DB2 and started over with a root installation, and I'm still getting the error. When I re-installed, I used this command:

sudo ./db2_install

I then created the instance for db2inst1 with:

sudo /opt/ibm/db2/V9.5/instance/db2icrt -u db2fenc1 db2inst1

The instance directories were put in the $HOME directory for db2inst1. Then I set up the service and tcpip. I restored our Jazz database from a backup. As the db2inst1 user, I can connect to the database locally.

Since both commands were run with sudo, this should be a root installation. When looking at the DB2 documentation and the forum post you linked to, it seems that the db2rfe script should be in the "instance subdirectory" - which for me it is not (even with using the "find" command). Here are the locations that I am looking (I'm also looking in all subdirectories of these locations):

DB2 install directory: /opt/ibm/db2/V9.5
DB2 instance directory: /home/db2inst1/

Should I be looking elsewhere for db2rfe?

Furthermore, I can't find the db2rfe.cfg anywhere to see if ENABLE_OS_AUTHENTICATION is enabled. I imagine that I wouldn't find db2rfe anywhere because I installed as root to begin with. I do know, however that my AUTHENTICATION variable is set to "Server".

I also gave db2inst1 sudo access and that didn't do the trick.

Here's a snippet of my /home/db2inst1/sqllib/db2dump/db2diag.log

2008-10-09-15.07.45.924691-240 I73644G433 LEVEL: Warning
PID : 28853 TID : 3078613904 PROC : db2sysc
INSTANCE: db2inst1 NODE : 000 DB : JAZZ
APPHDL : 0-154
EDUID : 18 EDUNAME: db2agent (JAZZ)
FUNCTION: DB2 UDB, bsu security, sqlexLogPluginMessage, probe:20
DATA #1 : String with size, 67 bytes
Password validation for user db2inst1 failed with rc = -2146499506

I can't figure out how to look up that reason code at the end. I can't find it in the documentation. Is there a DB2 command for looking up rc's?

Seems to me that the error code 42 indicates some sort of security token problem. Is there some other way I can enable local or server authentication? Or at least check what the setting is?

Thank you very much for helping.

permanent link
Carlos Maciel (3112) | answered Mar 05 '12, 5:49 p.m.
Just to be sure, I completely uninstalled DB2 and started over with a root installation, and I'm still getting the error. When I re-installed, I used this command:

sudo ./db2_install

I then created the instance for db2inst1 with:

sudo /opt/ibm/db2/V9.5/instance/db2icrt -u db2fenc1 db2inst1

The instance directories were put in the $HOME directory for db2inst1. Then I set up the service and tcpip. I restored our Jazz database from a backup. As the db2inst1 user, I can connect to the database locally.

Since both commands were run with sudo, this should be a root installation. When looking at the DB2 documentation and the forum post you linked to, it seems that the db2rfe script should be in the "instance subdirectory" - which for me it is not (even with using the "find" command). Here are the locations that I am looking (I'm also looking in all subdirectories of these locations):

DB2 install directory: /opt/ibm/db2/V9.5
DB2 instance directory: /home/db2inst1/

Should I be looking elsewhere for db2rfe?

Furthermore, I can't find the db2rfe.cfg anywhere to see if ENABLE_OS_AUTHENTICATION is enabled. I imagine that I wouldn't find db2rfe anywhere because I installed as root to begin with. I do know, however that my AUTHENTICATION variable is set to "Server".

I also gave db2inst1 sudo access and that didn't do the trick.

Here's a snippet of my /home/db2inst1/sqllib/db2dump/db2diag.log

2008-10-09-15.07.45.924691-240 I73644G433 LEVEL: Warning
PID : 28853 TID : 3078613904 PROC : db2sysc
INSTANCE: db2inst1 NODE : 000 DB : JAZZ
APPHDL : 0-154
EDUID : 18 EDUNAME: db2agent (JAZZ)
FUNCTION: DB2 UDB, bsu security, sqlexLogPluginMessage, probe:20
DATA #1 : String with size, 67 bytes
Password validation for user db2inst1 failed with rc = -2146499506

I can't figure out how to look up that reason code at the end. I can't find it in the documentation. Is there a DB2 command for looking up rc's?

Seems to me that the error code 42 indicates some sort of security token problem. Is there some other way I can enable local or server authentication? Or at least check what the setting is?

Thank you very much for helping.

Hi,

I know this is an old post, but did you find a solution to your problem? I'm struggling now with it.

permanent link
Andy Meneely (26132) | answered Mar 05 '12, 6:13 p.m.
I'm afraid I did not ever find the resolution. I remember I ended up re-installing DB2 multiple times, and upgrading Jazz, but I can't remember what finally fixed it. Sorry!

permanent link
Carlos Maciel (3112) | answered Mar 06 '12, 8:58 a.m.
I'm afraid I did not ever find the resolution. I remember I ended up re-installing DB2 multiple times, and upgrading Jazz, but I can't remember what finally fixed it. Sorry!

Oh, its OK. I was going to go for that option as well, but just wanted to verify that there was no other solution available yet.

Thanks!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.