It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does anybody use Plain java API instead of CURL when doing something from zOS to RTC?

Stefano Antoniazzi (1701711) | asked Aug 16 '12, 12:28 p.m.
edited Aug 16 '12, 12:30 p.m.
 We're doing some process orchestration from RTC to zOS and we need to update work items status from zOS.
At the moment we're using curl and everything works but we think we loose some time parsing around json with Rexx. So we would like to try to do the same things using plain java api on zOS (they should work...just jar libraries). Does anybody use plain java api in zOS? (We're on RTC 2.0.0.2 iFix 6...)

Comments
Dave Bellagio commented May 07 '13, 11:44 p.m.

I only use Rexx/cURL on z/OS to connect to RTC Work Items or anything else in Jazz through OSLC.   You mention you lose time parsing around json with Rexx, but there is also time spent starting up java that you do not encounter.  So, I guess to get the real truth, you would have to test both solutions side by side.  I've followed this approach as I am assuming that more people on z/OS know Rexx than Java, so, that is what I've done.  I guess I do have more File I/O with Rexx/cURL though.

2 answers

permanent link
Stefano Antoniazzi (1701711) | answered Aug 20 '12, 10:10 a.m.
edited Aug 20 '12, 10:17 a.m.
 We tried a simple "copy jar on zOS" approach and we got this error just trying to execute a class to connect to RTC
$ javac -cp .:/u/A060491/plainjava/* Test.java 

$ java -cp .:/u/A060491/plainjava/* Test 

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError 

at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:227) 

at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.TeamRepository.<init>(TeamRepository.java:412) 

at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.TeamRepositoryService.createSharedTeamRepository(TeamRepositoryService.java:366) 

at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.TeamRepositoryService.getTeamRepository(TeamRepositoryService.java:91) 

at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.TeamRepositoryService.getTeamRepository(TeamRepositoryService.java:110) 

at Test.main(Test.java:14) 

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The type name Contributor and the namespace URI com.ibm.team.repository do not resolve to an IItemType. 

at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.querypath.AbstractQueryPathModel$Implementation.getItemType(AbstractQueryPathModel.java:190) 

at com.ibm.team.repository.common.query.IQuery$Factory.newInstance(IQuery.java:92) 

at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.ContributorManager.createAllContributorsQuery(ContributorManager.java:57) 

at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.ContributorManager.<clinit>(ContributorManager.java:45) 

at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initializeImpl(Native Method) 

at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:205) 

... 5 more

permanent link
Stefano Antoniazzi (1701711) | answered Aug 21 '12, 3:35 a.m.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.