It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Scrum Release burndown chart

Shawn Lauzon (38174) | asked Sep 11 '08, 1:27 a.m.
Wondering if anyone has thought about a release burndown chart, which shows burning down in story points from a set of estimated user stories at the beginning of a release to the end.

At the beginning of the release the team assigns a set of user stories to the release (possibly in specific iterations in the release), and each of them is estimated with story points. Then as the release progresses, stories will be completed and the line goes down. If new stories are assigned to the release, I would expect the line to go up. I think all the information that is needed is there, and it would be very useful for the Scrum template.

I haven't yet investigated if I could do this with BIRT myself, but wanted to see if others figured this out already. Thanks ...

shawn.

12 answers

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Sep 11 '08, 3:01 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Shawn, have you looked at the Story Points report. It gives you a Remaining vs Achieved story points chart. So basically you are asking for a report that shows you just the Remaining story points. Did I get that right?

permanent link
Shawn Lauzon (38174) | answered Sep 11 '08, 3:05 p.m.
Yes, it is certainly similar to the Story points report. The tracking is # estimated minus # completed. Thus at the beginning of the cycle it should be at # estimated (because none are completed) and at the end should be zero (because all are completed).

shawn.

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Sep 11 '08, 4:32 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Check the new report named Story Points Remaining on jazz.net.
If you like it, can you please create a Work Item and assign it to me. I will attach the new report template to the Work Item.

permanent link
Shawn Lauzon (38174) | answered Sep 11 '08, 5:11 p.m.
I don't see any difference between Story Points and Story Points Remaining. I do like the Story Points by Iteration, which I don't have in my installation.

What I'm looking for is a Release Burndown Chart -- the current Burndown chart is actually the Iteration Burndown Chart: # hours remaining in the iteration. The Release Burndown chart is # story points remaining in the iteration. The both should have a similar profile (going from all to 0); just the scale is different.

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Sep 11 '08, 6:29 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am very confused. The new "Story Points Remaining" report is showing the remaining story points in the iteration (if you select an itertion). And you are asking for (using your own words) "Release Burndown chart is # story points remaining in the iteration". Those two sound the same to me :-)

permanent link
Shawn Lauzon (38174) | answered Sep 11 '08, 8:51 p.m.
Ok, I see the difference now. You're right, it does show what I asked for. The only problem now is that it should be a line chart (like the burndown) instead of a dotplot (I think it's called?) Basically don't fill in the bottom part.

Sorry about not being clear! You're right, the two phrases do sound very similar :-)

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Sep 11 '08, 9:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
That can be easily done. I will make the change when I get to the office. Don't forget to send me the work item so I can attach the report to. Thanks.

permanent link
Shawn Lauzon (38174) | answered Sep 11 '08, 10:07 p.m.
will do. Thanks!

permanent link
Artem Marchenko (11) | answered Sep 17 '08, 9:18 a.m.
I am a new guy here and not sure how to see whether this request was implemented already :/

I am also very interested in the release burndown chart, because, well, release burndown chart and velocity chart (TeamConcert calls it "story points by iteration") are the must for Scrum.

permanent link
Artem Marchenko (11) | answered Sep 17 '08, 9:30 a.m.
A good example with a picture and short explanation could be found at http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/release_burndown

The key thing is that you show how many story points are still undone before sprint 1, 2, 3, etc.

I admit that I can hardly imagine how one could do such a graph in jazz (since to my understanding it is complex to track that a particular story entered backlog or was reestimated during a particular iteration), but if you do that, that would indeed move jazz one big step closer to the Scrum support.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.