It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to Sync a sandbox using Command Line Interface (SCM)

Kamrooz Shishegar (2122) | asked Feb 13 '12, 4:40 p.m.
I figured this out the hard way after many trials and finding out that the documented and the online help for SCM commands are not very accurate!

If for some reason your sandbox is out of sync with the repository workspace (maybe you deleted or modified a file/folder by mistake) or progamatically you want to check and make sure your sandbox is insync without reloading everything then use the "load" command with the option --force (-f). Although the option is missleading it will not reload everything only the missing or changed files.

Looking at the SCM online help you woudl have thought that "Repair" would have been the right choice:
"The scm repair subcommand repairs a sandbox that has become corrupted or is out of sync with its counterpart in the repository."

4 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Feb 14 '12, 3:24 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

could you please file a defect against documentation?

permanent link
Kamrooz Shishegar (2122) | answered Feb 16 '12, 5:07 p.m.
Hi,

could you please file a defect against documentation?

Hi,
Defect 197097 is filed.

permanent link
Kamrooz Shishegar (2122) | answered Feb 16 '12, 5:19 p.m.
I found this https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/SCMCommandLineTutorial useful but misleading as it explains command options that do not exist!

For example:

scm checkin
Modifications you've made to your local workspace are copied to your remote workspace by running scm checkin. At its most basic, the checkin command looks like

scm checkin <path>

The subcommand takes one or more paths to things you want to check in. Everything under that path will be examined for changes and saved to a change-set in the remote workspace.

By default, resource changes are saved to the currently active change set. If there is no currently active change-set, one will be created. If you have multiple active change-sets, you can use a change-set selector to choose the one you want to receive the changes by providing the --change-set/-c option. To create a new change-set, use the --new-change-set/-n option. To close the change-set after your changes have been checked-in, specify --close-change-set/-C.

The --message/-m option will set the comment on the given change-set.

I could not get any of the --message or --change-set options mentioned above to work!

permanent link
Kamrooz Shishegar (2122) | answered Feb 16 '12, 5:23 p.m.
I found this https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/SCMCommandLineTutorial useful but misleading as it explains command options that do not exist!

For example:

scm checkin
Modifications you've made to your local workspace are copied to your remote workspace by running scm checkin. At its most basic, the checkin command looks like

scm checkin <path>

The subcommand takes one or more paths to things you want to check in. Everything under that path will be examined for changes and saved to a change-set in the remote workspace.

By default, resource changes are saved to the currently active change set. If there is no currently active change-set, one will be created. If you have multiple active change-sets, you can use a change-set selector to choose the one you want to receive the changes by providing the --change-set/-c option. To create a new change-set, use the --new-change-set/-n option. To close the change-set after your changes have been checked-in, specify --close-change-set/-C.

The --message/-m option will set the comment on the given change-set.

I could not get any of the --message or --change-set options mentioned above to work!

Defect 197106 filed!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.