It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Copy of Build and SCM info from 1 Project Area to another ?

Christophe Lucas (86224948) | asked Feb 13 '12, 8:50 a.m.
We are looking for an easy way to copy all of the following from 1 Project Area to another:

(1) the build definition and build engines
(2) The streams and components (and if possible the Java projects themselves)
(3) the team areas, the work item categories and the releases

Is this possible ?

Any hint welcome, Thanks

(NB1:extracting a Process template from an existing Project Area, then creating a new Project Area based on that process template does not copy all above ...NB2: we don't want to copy all the repository, e.g. using repotools)

4 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 13 '12, 10:14 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

in 3.x

- You can create a new project based on a template. It won't give you all, but I think it should give you the timeline, potentially the team areas and categories.
- the releases will not go over.
- You can create new build engines and select an existing build engine as template. You need a new ID.
- you can create a new build definition based on an existing one. You need a new ID.
- You can duplicate the streams and while duplicating them, select the new project area/owner. This will include the components. Please be aware that the components are not a new copy, they are basically the same and used in the new stream.

That would be my approach. What is the motivation for this attempt?

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 13 '12, 3:38 p.m.
Are the source and destination project areas both in the same repository?

Cheers,
Geoff

On 2/13/2012 8:53 AM, xophe wrote:
We are looking for an easy way to copy all of the following from 1
Project Area to another:

(1) the build definition and
build engines
(2) The streams and
components (and if possible the Java
projects themselves)
(3) the team areas, the work item
categories and the
releases

Is this possible ?

Any hint welcome, Thanks

(NB1:extracting a Process template from an existing Project Area, then
creating a new Project Area based on that process template does not
copy all above ...NB2: we don't want to copy all the repository, e.g.
using repotools)

permanent link
Willy Dhondt (5821123) | answered Feb 15 '12, 3:10 a.m.
The underlying question (of a financial organization that is evaluating RTC) is to how automate the setup of project area's.

The organization wants to be able quickly and consistently set up a project area with a set of default streams and build engines, roles timelines, plans, and work item types and assign users to teams and roles in the newly created project area.

Some of these objects can be deployed via a process template but the remaining ones have to be implemented through time consuming and error prone clicking in the user interface.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 16 '12, 2:27 a.m.
I have heard this request already and gave it some thoughts.

The only approach I could come up with is using the Plain Java Client Libraries. If you look at the snippets that are included, they create a project.

I think it would be possible to use a project as "Template", create another project and then copy data over. I am not sure how much work that would be. If it would be used with the capability to use the process of another project area it might be possible to avoid having to do the whole process configuration. Nevertheless it would be some effort, since it touches a lot of elements.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.