It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Compare producing differences in any line that is all blanks

Marilyn Ziemba (111) | asked Jan 03 '12, 11:29 a.m.
I started using RTC prior to Christmas for the first time and ran across a problem. I edited a COBOL program and had the source in my personal workspace. I wanted to run a compare with the one in the production stream to make sure that I made the correct changes. When I compared my work source to the production source, the editor seemed to have added a strange character to any line that was all spaces in my personal workspace. This particular program I was working with is quite large and there are quite a few blank lines in the program, hence making the compare useless. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to prevent this from happening?

One answer

permanent link
Kim Soederhamn (1.5k34348) | answered Jan 06 '12, 8:42 p.m.
I started using RTC prior to Christmas for the first time and ran across a problem. I edited a COBOL program and had the source in my personal workspace. I wanted to run a compare with the one in the production stream to make sure that I made the correct changes. When I compared my work source to the production source, the editor seemed to have added a strange character to any line that was all spaces in my personal workspace. This particular program I was working with is quite large and there are quite a few blank lines in the program, hence making the compare useless. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to prevent this from happening?

This is not an RTC functionality but rather Eclipse or whatever extension of eclipse you use. Have a look at
http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.user%2Ftasks%2Ftasks-68b.htm
there is an option in the preferences to ignore white spaces in eclipse compare.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.