It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Making columns default?

Sezgi Seret (144) | asked Dec 16 '11, 3:52 a.m.
Hi Everybody,

I created several artifacts. For these artifacts I also added column "x" and column "y". After I logged out I want to see these columns again. But RRC stored the default.

Is it possible in this version of RRC? Thank you.

Sezgi

6 answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Dec 16 '11, 8:46 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Set up the columns and filters you want, then create a Saved Filter. Then at one click you will recreate this view in the future (and you can copy the URL for the saved filter and share it with others (in email, in dashboards, on some other web page) when you want them to see the same view.

For example, here is the glossary view we use in our self-hosted requirements project here on jazz.net.

permanent link
Garth Coleman (26) | answered Dec 31 '11, 10:25 a.m.
That works, but then I might as well delete all other built in filters, like "by folder".

This would be a very good enhancement to allow the administrator to modify the built-in filters so that custom column layouts can be stored. I think this would be something everybody would want, need, and benefit from.

Set up the columns and filters you want, then create a Saved Filter. Then at one click you will recreate this view in the future (and you can copy the URL for the saved filter and share it with others (in email, in dashboards, on some other web page) when you want them to see the same view.

For example, here is the glossary view we use in our self-hosted requirements project here on jazz.net.

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jan 01 '12, 4:16 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Are saved filters included in project templates? I don't recall. But I agree that ...
1. It makes sense to enable project admins to provide common saved filters across projects, both at time of project creation (in project templates) and after project creation.
2. It would be nice if admins could change the default (i.e., when no saved filter has been applied), and it would be good if this setting also participated in (1) above.

Please fee free to open an enhancement for this and subscribe me.
https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Requirements%20Management#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.newWorkItem

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Jan 02 '12, 9:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
That works, but then I might as well delete all other built in filters, like "by folder".

This would be a very good enhancement to allow the administrator to modify the built-in filters so that custom column layouts can be stored. I think this would be something everybody would want, need, and benefit from.

Saved filters can be stored in a project template

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_create_proj_template.html

You can create a project template from an existing project and select the elements of the project to include in the template. You can include or exclude artifacts, artifact templates, artifact types and attributes, links between artifacts, link types, folder structure, tags, and shared saved filters. You cannot modify templates for requirements projects after they are created.

Also saved filters can be changed to have new queries and columns. Ensure that an existing saved filter is chosen in the save filter dialogue to overwrite. A new project template can be created with the new filters.

We use this option to create new Money that Matters sample projects.

permanent link
Garth Coleman (26) | answered Jan 03 '12, 12:38 a.m.
Yes, but what I want is to use the existing "by folder" filters, but be able to customize the columns that appear by default.

Otherwise the "by folder" filter is quite limited in the information I can extract... I have found that if I create a saved filter called "custom columns layout", then I can run that filter first, and then browse by folder, and my desired columns appear. But it seems silly that I have to do this step...

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_create_proj_template.html

You can create a project template from an existing project and select the elements of the project to include in the template. You can include or exclude artifacts, artifact templates, artifact types and attributes, links between artifacts, link types, folder structure, tags, and shared saved filters. You cannot modify templates for requirements projects after they are created.

Also saved filters can be changed to have new queries and columns. Ensure that an existing saved filter is chosen in the save filter dialogue to overwrite. A new project template can be created with the new filters.

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Jan 03 '12, 10:43 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, but what I want is to use the existing "by folder" filters, but be able to customize the columns that appear by default.

Otherwise the "by folder" filter is quite limited in the information I can extract... I have found that if I create a saved filter called "custom columns layout", then I can run that filter first, and then browse by folder, and my desired columns appear. But it seems silly that I have to do this step...

Setting the default Out-of-the-box columns is currently not possible, as you have found you can trick it by opening a saved filter with the columns you need. I would suggest raising an enhancement request to allow an administrator to define the default columns - if you have a customer ID you can do this via Rational Tech Support otherwise raise an enhancement work item on jazz.net.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.