It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

All entitlements from RAM1.getConstants() return 0

Ben Fortuna (5035) | asked Dec 15 '11, 7:21 p.m.
Hi,

I am trying to use the RAM web service API to create new roles, and I would like to find the int values for specific entitlements/permissions.

I thought the Constants.getENTITLEMENT* methods would be the way to achieve this, however in all RAM instances I have tried the value returned is always 0 regardless of the entitlement. I have tried both the RAM client API and the web service directly and both return the same result.

Is this a bug with RAM (7.5.0.1), or is there something potentially wrong with the installed instanced I am using?

regards,
ben

Accepted answer

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Jan 10 '12, 7:38 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

The RAMClient Java API and ANT tasks are the official supported API.
Plus the OSLC REST API. All of the other mechanisms are internal and can
change at any time.

--
Rich Kulp
Rational Asset Manager developer
Ben Fortuna selected this answer as the correct answer

4 other answers

permanent link
Gili Mendel (1.8k56) | answered Dec 28 '11, 1:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Note that the web services api are internal.

Entitlements IDs are define in
com.ibm.ram.repository.sdo.Entitlement

permanent link
Ben Fortuna (5035) | answered Jan 09 '12, 12:22 a.m.
Note that the web services api are internal.

Entitlements IDs are define in
com.ibm.ram.repository.sdo.Entitlement

Quoting from the RAM extensions page (with a provided link to the WSDL):

"Rational Asset Manager publishes Web services for working with the repository. Advanced users and developers can use the WSDL to develop custom applications that interact with the repository."

This clearly suggests the WS API is not internal. Using com.ibm.ram.repository.sdo.Entitlement is fine when using the Java client, but the functionality provided by the Java client does not include all the functionality of the WS API.

I would recommend that if the WS API is not fully implemented the methods should return a SOAPFault or something rather than returning an incorrect value (i.e. zero).

regards,
ben

permanent link
Gili Mendel (1.8k56) | answered Jan 10 '12, 8:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

permanent link
Ben Fortuna (5035) | answered Jan 10 '12, 5:59 p.m.
Regarding internal API, take a look at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ramhelp/v7r5m1/topic/com.ibm.ram.doc/topics/t_working_api.html

Ok I see. Basically "internal API" == "not supported".

Interesting to note that "HTTP upload and download mechanism" are also internal and not supported. I would have expected HTTP download of assets to be one of the primary features of an asset repository..

Thanks for the clarification.

regards,
ben

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.