It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Just don't get how approvals work...

Scott Chapman (3216547) | asked Oct 24 '11, 8:47 p.m.
So, I have been trying to figure out how to use approvals and it just doesn't make sense to me.

Is there an article or documentation which describes their use? I couldn't find one...

4 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Oct 25 '11, 4:59 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Scott,

I know there have been discussions around this here.

Here is the minimal information: https://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/features/wi

An approval or review or verification is an element that can have one or more users assigned for approval. The individual state of the users approval can be pending, approved, rejected.
The state of the approval is accumulated. It is approved if all approver approve. It is rejected as soon as one approver rejects. it is pending if it is not rejected, but not all approvers have approved (there are pending approvals).

It is possible to trigger a state transition based on the approval cumulative state.

A work item can have as many of those records as one wishes. Changes are recorded in the history.

It is pretty informal.

There is an advisor that would reject delivery of change sets unless they have a work item with an approval with cumulative state approved associated. http://phkrief.wordpress.com/2011/09/08/enforce-work-item-approvals-in-rational-team-concert/

It is not bullet proof and there are other behaviors you could ask for. But that is basically how it works.

permanent link
Scott Chapman (3216547) | answered Oct 25 '11, 8:00 a.m.
Thanks, that helps a bit.

So, as someone that has be designated an approver, what do I do? I assume I can add comments and such to the work item itself, but how does one actually approve/reject??

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Oct 25 '11, 8:14 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks, that helps a bit.

So, as someone that has be designated an approver, what do I do? I assume I can add comments and such to the work item itself, but how does one actually approve/reject??

Scott,

there is an approval tab on the work item. You select the "pending" behind you name and change it to "approved" or "rejected".

permanent link
Scott Chapman (3216547) | answered Oct 25 '11, 9:42 a.m.

Scott,

there is an approval tab on the work item. You select the "pending" behind you name and change it to "approved" or "rejected".

I had seen that, but hadn't noticed the other columns since they were off the screen. Found them! Makes sense now.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.