It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Test Case execution hangs

James Monaghan (1632) | asked Oct 07 '11, 9:08 a.m.
We have a problem executing some tests cases via RQM.

The test cases are all in the same Test Plan. They each have one manual script and one automated (RFT) script attached. A TCER has been created for execution against a valid milestone (i.e. in the Test Plan) and a valid environment.

Execution is via the test case. On the "Run Test Case" dialog, the required TCER, the relevant automated script and the RFT adapter (which is available) are selected. When pressed the OK button becomes disabled. And then nothing. The "Run Test Case" dialog remains, no execution occurs on the automation machine, no errors/warnings appear in the qm.log on the server. No errors/warnings are shown in the UI.

If I add the test case & scripts to another test plan then it runs fine.
If, in the "Run Test Case" dialog, I choose new TCER (and leave the test plan, milestone and environment blank) rather than the existing generated TCER then it runs fine.
If I run the manual test case against the TCER then it runs fine.
But if I delete the existing TCER and generate a new one with the required test plan, milestone and environment and run the automated script then the problem re-appears.

Has this been seen before?
Is there anything more I can do to help with the diagnosis?

4 answers

permanent link
James Monaghan (1632) | answered Dec 09 '11, 6:10 a.m.
We have a problem executing some tests cases via RQM.

The test cases are all in the same Test Plan. They each have one manual script and one automated (RFT) script attached. A TCER has been created for execution against a valid milestone (i.e. in the Test Plan) and a valid environment.

Execution is via the test case. On the "Run Test Case" dialog, the required TCER, the relevant automated script and the RFT adapter (which is available) are selected. When pressed the OK button becomes disabled. And then nothing. The "Run Test Case" dialog remains, no execution occurs on the automation machine, no errors/warnings appear in the qm.log on the server. No errors/warnings are shown in the UI.

If I add the test case & scripts to another test plan then it runs fine.
If, in the "Run Test Case" dialog, I choose new TCER (and leave the test plan, milestone and environment blank) rather than the existing generated TCER then it runs fine.
If I run the manual test case against the TCER then it runs fine.
But if I delete the existing TCER and generate a new one with the required test plan, milestone and environment and run the automated script then the problem re-appears.

Has this been seen before?
Is there anything more I can do to help with the diagnosis?

Just in case anyone else runs into this problem, it was solved by adding the Resources section back into the Test Plan. We had removed this from our Test Plan template because our RFT scripts were local to the test machine (i.e. not in a shared location) and we didn't think that we needed it.

It seems to be the same as this identified problem:

https://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=56509

permanent link
stephen uridge (2645) | answered Apr 10 '12, 9:38 a.m.
I'm having the exact same problem with 3.0.1.1, but the workaround is not working for me. :(

Any other ideas?

permanent link
stephen uridge (2645) | answered Apr 10 '12, 11:53 a.m.
I'm having the exact same problem with 3.0.1.1, but the workaround is not working for me. :(

Any other ideas?

It seems to hang when trying to make a reservation on the resource. Firebug shows it waiting on a post to https://rqmserver:9443/jazz/service/com.ibm.rational.test.lm.common.IResourceCollectionRestService/reserveResources?from=1334072838265&itemId=_ijI0ACDeEeGluphtajnB0w&stateId=_0yARMoLTEeGNY6MBFO_kBQ&to=1334159238265

permanent link
Colin Thorne (22421619) | answered Apr 13 '12, 11:39 a.m.
I am not sure if it helps but we are also seeing the same problem with 3.0.1.1 but in our case the workaround did solve our problem. We added the Resources section to the Test Plan and we could then launch a test without the dialog hanging (note: The Resources section was left empty, all I did was add the section to the plan)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.