It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

C# files, file association & strange characters

Jeff Foege (45266960) | asked Sep 22 '11, 2:07 p.m.
The developers use Visual Studio for their development and then use the RTC client to check-in/deliver to the stream. The problem arrises when they have to do a merge. It seems like RTC is inserting strange characters in the file and when a merge happens it inserts more strange characters.

At first when I would open a .cs file it would open in Visual Studio. So I created a file association for it in RTC and assigned the Text Editor to be its editor. The question is what have other people done for this file type?

6 answers

permanent link
Christophe Cornu (47123) | answered Sep 23 '11, 9:17 a.m.
What encoding do you use when saving the files inside the VS Client editor?

That encoding needs to match the one used in your eclipse workspace. There are different ways to do it, it depends if all your files in all your projects have that same encoding, or just a project, or just some files. E.g. you can select a file, folder or project in your eclipse workspace > Properties > Resource > Text File Encoding. Edit it to the correct value. This creates a .preference file you will need to check-in (so other team members get the correct encoding when they reload).
So in summary, Eclipse has to be told which encoding was used when a file was saved with an external tool. RTC Source Control in Eclipse uses that eclipse setting when it checks-in / loads content.

Cheers,
Christophe

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Sep 26 '11, 5:52 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please check the Properties view for a .cs file. What are the property values in the File Properties sub-section under Jazz Source Control section?

I'm a VS developer in the RTC.NET team, and for me, here's what my properties page says for a .cs file:

Line Delimiter Platform
MIME Type text/plain

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Sep 26 '11, 6:01 a.m.
Just so you know, there's a forum on jazz.net for just the RTC Visual Studio users - Using the client for Microsoft Visual Studio. The RTC VS Client developers monitor that regularly.

Cheers,
--Rupa

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Sep 26 '11, 6:11 a.m.
And finally, https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14708 discusses a similar issue.

Cheers
--Rupa

permanent link
Jeff Foege (45266960) | answered Sep 28 '11, 4:55 p.m.
Thanks Rupa! My hard drive crashed on Monday morning, so I've spent the last couple days rebuilding my pc. I'll revisit this when I'm back in the office on Tuesday (10/4).

Question, Can the file association be set on a global setting somewhere? I would hate to have everyone using the RTC client to setup this themselves.

We aren't really using the RTC VS plugin right now. Its far too buggy.

Thanks to you both!!

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Sep 29 '11, 3:43 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks Rupa! My hard drive crashed on Monday morning, so I've spent the last couple days rebuilding my pc. I'll revisit this when I'm back in the office on Tuesday (10/4).

Question, Can the file association be set on a global setting somewhere? I would hate to have everyone using the RTC client to setup this themselves.

We aren't really using the RTC VS plugin right now. Its far too buggy.

Thanks to you both!!

Jeff,

Rupa and the VS Client Team are using their product them selves as far as I know. I have also customers being very happy with the Visual Studio client. If it was that buggy, I am wondering how they could. Can you expand on your statement to help understand what the issue with the VS client is?

Why do you consider the client buggy? Which version of RTC are you running? Have you filed work items for the issues or things you don't like?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.