It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Failure to view log files

Paul Sandie (38913) | asked May 23 '11, 3:08 a.m.
I can't view the log files for RQM Test Execution Records. Sometimes I'm able to view the RFT Simple Log but not the detailed one. It does appear to be pulling the logs across from the server but I'm not seeing them being opened in the browser.
Does anyone know if there is specific client side configuration required for this ?

7 answers

permanent link
Paul Sandie (38913) | answered May 23 '11, 9:19 a.m.
I can't view the log files for RQM Test Execution Records. Sometimes I'm able to view the RFT Simple Log but not the detailed one. It does appear to be pulling the logs across from the server but I'm not seeing them being opened in the browser.
Does anyone know if there is specific client side configuration required for this ?

In reply to my own post, in case anyone is interested, the problem with the simple log was that the code was attempting to write control characters to the log. Ultimately this resulted in invalid XML.

I'm still unable to view the detailed log.

permanent link
Kurtis Martin (1.4k11) | answered May 23 '11, 11:29 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

In reply to my own post, in case anyone is interested, the problem with the simple log was that the code was attempting to write control characters to the log. Ultimately this resulted in invalid XML.

You'll need RFT installed on the machine from which you are trying to view the detailed log. The detailed log which ends with .rftlog is a binary file that only RFT knows how to interpret. On machines with RFT installed, there should be a file association setup for .rftlog files. Essentially a program in this location is used to open them:

"<RFT_INSTALL_FOLDER>\FunctionalTester\bin\rftLog.bat"

If there's something wrong with the file association, the try running rftLog.bat and pass the path of the .rftlog file as an argument.

permanent link
Paul Sandie (38913) | answered May 24 '11, 2:27 a.m.

You'll need RFT installed on the machine from which you are trying to view the detailed log. The detailed log which ends with .rftlog is a binary file that only RFT knows how to interpret. On machines with RFT installed, there should be a file association setup for .rftlog files. Essentially a program in this location is used to open them:

"<RFT_INSTALL_FOLDER>\FunctionalTester\bin\rftLog.bat"

If there's something wrong with the file association, the try running rftLog.bat and pass the path of the .rftlog file as an argument.

RFT is installed on the machine. I can see the DOS prompt open and the rftLog.bat batch file being executed, but nothing else. I tried saving the log.rftlog file to the directory containing the batch file and running the batch
file manually from there. This failed with "invalid Dojo location". This is not a failure I see when the batch file is executed via the link in RQM - in that case there is nothing to indicate that the batch file has failed. I believe the
java class used in the batch file extracts the log file (which is zipped XML) to a temporary folder and should then launch it in a browser. This doesn't appear to work.

permanent link
Kurtis Martin (1.4k11) | answered May 26 '11, 5:17 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'm not certain about your issue, but I can say that it is specific to RFT itself, nothing to do with your RQM/RFT integration.

The only thing that comes to mind is that maybe there's something different about your Internet Explorer install on the machine from which you are attempting to open the .rftlog file. Maybe your OS isn't on the C: drive and this is giving the rftLog.bat code a hard time. I'm speculating.

But if you have a second machine with RFT install, then try to open the .rftlog file on that machine.

Also, you can try posting this to the RFT forum:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=322

permanent link
Brian Cam (63188) | answered Mar 15 '12, 2:48 p.m.
I know this is an old post. But I'm having this problem and wondering if anybody found a solution. To recap the problem, the simple log .xml created by RQM is incomplete and Firefox failed to load because of parsing error. IE did a little better but stopped at the missing element/tag. If found that only 1/3 of the results were logged. RFT could not open the more detailed .rftlog log. I could see that it was trying to open it but nothing came up.

permanent link
Patrick Van Zandt (1.2k1) | answered Mar 15 '12, 3:29 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I know this is an old post. But I'm having this problem and wondering if anybody found a solution. To recap the problem, the simple log .xml created by RQM is incomplete and Firefox failed to load because of parsing error. IE did a little better but stopped at the missing element/tag. If found that only 1/3 of the results were logged. RFT could not open the more detailed .rftlog log. I could see that it was trying to open it but nothing came up.

Hi Brian,

Can you please attach a sample .rftlog file here which demonstrates the problem? I would like to try it on my machine in order to isolate if this is a problem with the actual .rftlog files in your environment or simply a machine/environmental issue on the machine(s) you are trying to view the log files on.

-Patrick

permanent link
Paul Sandie (38913) | answered Mar 16 '12, 4:21 a.m.

I'm not sure what it is that is causing your log file to be invalid (i.e. not well formed XML). In our case we had a couple of problems.
(1) Logging control characters via the RationalTestScript.logXXX() API methods
(2) Using the RationalTestScript.logXXX() API methods from multiple threads

I fixed both cases by (1) stripping control characters before calling the logging API and (2) externally synchronizing logging calls made in multiple threads.

I did raise RFE 12433 for (2) (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=12433) but I don't believe anything was ever done about it.

Originally I also raised PMR 07271,49R,000 which relates to this also.

Paul

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.