It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I disable the RTC web client

Victor Campbell (3502618) | asked Mar 14 '11, 9:25 a.m.
We are using RTC 2.0.0.2. In the eclipse client, we have a precondition operation behavior rule for deliver that requires a work item and change set comment. When using the web client, it does not enforce these rules. We want to disable the web client, so our users will not circumvent the work item and comment requirement. How could we do this?

Comments
Stefano Antoniazzi commented Jul 10 '12, 11:05 a.m.

We made a custom precondition on the server side checking if the delivery has a repository workspace associated. When doing a change from the web ui we discovered the "getSourceWorkspace()" gives a null....

David Olsen commented Jul 10 '12, 4:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The above comment should be its own question, since it is not really related to the original question.

9 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Mar 14 '11, 4:14 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We are using RTC 2.0.0.2. In the eclipse client, we have a precondition operation behavior rule for deliver that requires a work item and change set comment. When using the web client, it does not enforce these rules. We want to disable the web client, so our users will not circumvent the work item and comment requirement. How could we do this?

Hi Victor

There may be another way to solve the problem - and keep your web client.

The process rules are either server or client-based. If you use the server-based rule, then they *should* work regardless of the client.

I don't have 2.0.0.2 installed any more (so this might not work on v2), but check your project area process tab and see if there any server-side rules that prevent Deliver without a comment or work item.

anthony

permanent link
Victor Campbell (3502618) | answered Mar 14 '11, 4:20 p.m.
Thanks, Anthony, but we have server rules implemented in the eclipse client, and I don't think they work with the web client. Do they work on version 3?

permanent link
Walter Mansur (63613017) | answered Mar 14 '11, 4:54 p.m.
Hi Victor and Anthony,

Victor, thanks for bringing this up and Anthony thanks for the tip.

I have also been puzzled by the fact that "web based Work Items" seemed to "bypass" the rules for "Operation Behavior". The Visual Studio Client Work Items are all "web based Work Items", since the Web UI for RTC is opened up when creating a new Work Item in the RTC Client for Visual Studio. I have set the "Operation Behavior" for delivery in the project area and sure enough when I checked on this, the server side deliver operation behavior had not been set. I always thought that putting conditions on the client side was good enough.

To set this up you:

Open the Project Area
In the Project Area, click on the tab named "Process Configuration"
In the section under "Configuration", expand "Team Configuration".
Under "Team Configuration" click on "Operation Behavior".
Under "Operation Behavior", in the grid area that has a column named "Operations", scroll down until you see "Source Control".
Under "Source Control", there are 2 items: "Deliver (client)" and "Deliver (server)". Highlight one of the "Deliver" fields above in the grid (i.e., "Deliver (server)", under the column named "Everyone (default)".
Below the grid where you have found the Deliver items, there is a check box to the left of "Preconditions and follow-up actions are configured for this operation. This box is now enabled.
Check the check box. This puts an icon that looks like a couple of people with a cloud behind them in the field you selected and you now have a selection of "Preconditions" to apply to the "Deliver (server)" field that you highlighted above (the number of preconditions varies by the field selected).
At this point you can assign the preconditions that you want and that should do it.

-Walter

Hi Victor

There may be another way to solve the problem - and keep your web client.

The process rules are either server or client-based. If you use the server-based rule, then they *should* work regardless of the client.

I don't have 2.0.0.2 installed any more (so this might not work on v2), but check your project area process tab and see if there any server-side rules that prevent Deliver without a comment or work item.

anthony

permanent link
Victor Campbell (3502618) | answered Mar 14 '11, 5:16 p.m.
Thanks, Walter. Your instructions to set up an Operation Behavior is exactly what I have previously done. It ensures that anything that is delilvered to the stream has a matching work item and comment. When using the web client under "source control", the function that the users have found is the "upload" function (there is no deliver), which will store new file modifications directly in the stream without a work item or comment, which conflicts with the Operation Behavior rule.

permanent link
Walter Mansur (63613017) | answered Mar 14 '11, 5:30 p.m.
Hi Victor,

I'm hoping my users don't find that functionality :) I am pretty certain that the RTC users here do not "upload" code as you describe below.

I am thinking that the steps that I did above will prevent the RTC Client for VS users from delivering Change Sets that do not have Work Items associated with them. If that works out, I will be happy.

Forgot to mention that we are using RTC v2.0.0.2 with iFix 4.

Thanks again,

-Walter

Thanks, Walter. Your instructions to set up an Operation Behavior is exactly what I have previously done. It ensures that anything that is delilvered to the stream has a matching work item and comment. When using the web client under "source control", the function that the users have found is the "upload" function (there is no deliver), which will store new file modifications directly in the stream without a work item or comment, which conflicts with the Operation Behavior rule.

permanent link
Victor Campbell (3502618) | answered Mar 14 '11, 6:35 p.m.
Walter,
We didn't want our users to find the web client, either. We would not send out the "invitations" when new users were added to the projects, because the invitation contains the link to the web client. Unfortunately, a project manager added a user, sent an invitation, and the user was so impressed that the web version was so much easier than the eclipse client, sent the link to everyone on the project. Our java developers are fine with the eclipse client, but our analysts, who occasionally check in documentation, quite frankly hate it. I'd rather they use the web client also, but it would bypasss our implemented rigid work item approval process. So, now I'm back to how can I disable or secure the "Source Control" function in the web ui, or does the web client have additional security options in version 3?

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 14 '11, 9:15 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Server-side process pre-conditions for the SCM web client should be
enforced in RTC-3.0. This fix was back-ported to 2.0.0.2 in iFix5 (see
work item 132247). If you are running an RTC server 2.0.0.2 version
earlier than iFix5, you need to upgrade. If you are running a version
iFix5 or later, please submit a bug.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 3/14/2011 6:38 PM, vrcampbell wrote:
Walter,
We didn't want our users to find the web client, either. We would not
send out the "invitations" when new users were added to the
projects, because the invitation contains the link to the web client.
Unfortunately, a project manager added a user, sent an invitation,
and the user was so impressed that the web version was so much easier
than the eclipse client, sent the link to everyone on the project.
Our java developers are fine with the eclipse client, but our
analysts, who occasionally check in documentation, quite frankly hate
it. I'd rather they use the web client also, but it would bypasss our
implemented rigid work item approval process. So, now I'm back to how
can I disable or secure the "Source Control" function in the
web ui, or does the web client have additional security options in
version 3?

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Mar 28 '11, 4:06 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Deliver rules configured on the client side will be honored by the Visual Studio Client from 3.0.1.

permanent link
Stefano Antoniazzi (1701711) | answered Jul 02 '12, 10:42 a.m.
We're running on 2.0.0.2 iFix 6 and we have exactly the same problems. I don't see any new  pre-conditions for the SCM web client ...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.