It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 3.0 - Repository Connection Socket Timeout

David Murphy (11143) | asked Feb 04 '11, 12:25 p.m.
I wanted to test the distributed SCM capabilities of RTC 3.0. I stood up a RTC 3.0 server in our local test lab (NY) and then one in India.

The New York config is a physical machine a Windows 2003SP2 4GB Intel Xeon 2.33GHz. The India config was the same initially except it was a virtual machine. I have since upgraded it to a 2 processor with 8 GB RAM with similar poor performance.Both server installations are comprised of a Tomcat/Derby set with the JTS and CCM installed on the same machine along with the database.

I am accessing from my desktop via the RTC and web client (Framingham, MA).

I am receiving the following, e.g., after a long wait time, Problem(s) occurred deploying process definitions. CRJAZ0099I When accessing the URL "https://itc-murda13013.ca.com:9443/ccm/service/com.ibm.team.process.internal.common.service.IProcessService" the following HTTP error occurred: "java.net.SocketTimeoutException". Also occurred when trying to create a new user.

I have had better luck with the web client though it is still slow, but the eclipse client is the worse. I have yet to be able to create a project.

Also my connection to the repository seems to drop sporadically.

Also, based on some ping tests and on what has been stated by IBM, any location with an average response time of less than 500ms should not have a bad experience using RTC. The roundtrip times to/from India are:
214ms/222ms/216ms (listed as min/max/average)

I have tried using the metronome to test the connection but without a repository connection the test fails.

What else can I do to identify the performance issue or bottleneck?

One answer

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Feb 04 '11, 1:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I wanted to test the distributed SCM capabilities of RTC 3.0. I stood up a RTC 3.0 server in our local test lab (NY) and then one in India.

The New York config is a physical machine a Windows 2003SP2 4GB Intel Xeon 2.33GHz. The India config was the same initially except it was a virtual machine. I have since upgraded it to a 2 processor with 8 GB RAM with similar poor performance.Both server installations are comprised of a Tomcat/Derby set with the JTS and CCM installed on the same machine along with the database.

I am accessing from my desktop via the RTC and web client (Framingham, MA).

I am receiving the following, e.g., after a long wait time, Problem(s) occurred deploying process definitions. CRJAZ0099I When accessing the URL "https://itc-murda13013.ca.com:9443/ccm/service/com.ibm.team.process.internal.common.service.IProcessService" the following HTTP error occurred: "java.net.SocketTimeoutException". Also occurred when trying to create a new user.

I have had better luck with the web client though it is still slow, but the eclipse client is the worse. I have yet to be able to create a project.

Also my connection to the repository seems to drop sporadically.

Also, based on some ping tests and on what has been stated by IBM, any location with an average response time of less than 500ms should not have a bad experience using RTC. The roundtrip times to/from India are:
214ms/222ms/216ms (listed as min/max/average)

I have tried using the metronome to test the connection but without a repository connection the test fails.

What else can I do to identify the performance issue or bottleneck?

Hi David

This sounds like a WAN problem - proxies and firewalls are the usual suspects. Try and use traceroute from a command shell to see what route your packets take to the server. If you have a very complex and long path, or if it fails altogether, that would point to network problems.

Connections where the web works but Eclipse client does not work can be because of proxy settings.

Check with your IT/Network people and ask if the traffic is being throttled or managed in some way. I have heard of packets being discarded repeatedly on some connections when the load exceeds a certain level.

You should be able to test with the Metronome if you have a repository connection (and no projects loaded/selected) but obviously you will not get results from any of the services relating to projects.

regards

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.