It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Burndown Charts Problem

preetam kulkarni (139298) | asked Dec 21 '10, 4:34 a.m.
HI All,
we have an issue related to the Burndown chart. RTC used is 2.0.0.2 , in the last week one of the iteration got completed and the work items in the iteration were closed on the last day, with some work items continued to work in the next iteration. When i query the work items for the last iteration for the respective team, it shows no work items found. But in burndown chart it does not show to zero hours.
May i know what can be the possible reason .... Please help as i need this for the reports generation ......

6 answers

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Jan 02 '11, 12:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The Burndown report will only display the chart for the period bound by the iteration start and end dates. So if work items targeted at a given iteration are closed after the iteration had finished. Those won't show up in the chart. Is that the behavior you are seeing?

permanent link
preetam kulkarni (139298) | answered Jan 04 '11, 12:13 a.m.
HI Rafik,
Thanks for the response. All the work items are closed on the last day of the iterations only.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 04 '11, 9:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Note that as a best practice, you'd want to know well ahead of the last
day of the iteration which work items will not be completed in the
iteration, and split them into "what can be accomplished this iteration"
and "what will be done in a subsequent iteration". Otherwise, you are
not developing the estimating skills needed to create effective plans.
In particular, you want your burndown charts to show lines whose slopes
cause them to reach zero at the end of the iteration.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 1/4/2011 12:23 AM, preetskuul wrote:
HI Rafik,
Thanks for the response. All the work items are closed on the
last day of the iterations only.

permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9808160143) | answered Jul 13 '12, 4:46 p.m.
 Preetam, did you ever figure this one out? We are having the same problem. All items marked complete, Plan says 571/571 hours with 0 remaining, yet the burndown shows 159.5 hours to go. I checked for Stories/Epics with hours associated (former Tasks that were changed). That is usually the culprit but was not in our case.

permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9808160143) | answered Jul 13 '12, 6:43 p.m.
 Well, I have now figured out WHAT was causing this and corrected it, however the HOW and WHY remain a mystery. On a whim I did a query for tasks where "time spent" was Unassigned and indeed there were a few! How can they be unassigned when the progress on the plan properly reflects the hours as completed with none remaining? That I don't know. I edited each of the tasks that came up in the query and changed the blank "Time Remaining" field to "0". Note however that we drag stuff from "Todo" to "Done" in the taskboard view all the time without having this problem (and without a "0" in Time Remaining) so I don't know how/why this happened. We have 2.0.0.2 ifix 5.

permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9808160143) | answered Jul 13 '12, 8:18 p.m.
 Well, looks like I was partially right. I accounted for 155.5 of the 159.5 hours. There are still 4 rogue hours! I didn't notice at first because the dot on the burndown looks like it's at the bottom, but hovering over it shows 4 hours remaining, even though the plan shows 0 hours remaining. <sigh>

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.