It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Upgrade to iFix4 displays iFix5 in install screens

Walter Mansur (63613017) | asked Nov 04 '10, 4:54 p.m.
We are upgrading our RTC Eclipse clients from RTC v2.0.0.2 iFix2 to iFix4 here. I downloaded the iFix4 Standard zip file from the Downloads site here on Friday. The file is named: RTC-Eclipse-Client-2.0.0.2iFix4-Win32-Local.zip. All users here are using Windows XP with SP3. The RTC server has been upgraded to iFix4 and is running smoothly.

A few users did the upgrade today and are reporting that during the installation process they are seeing references to iFix5 in some of the screens displayed during the install process. After the install process is done, they click on Help->About Rational Team Concert and have the following string displayed in the Build id: field - "I20101021-2131". I believe that it should read: "I20100903-0816" (It does on the clients that I upgraded on Friday- 10/29). I think that "I20101021-2131" is for iFix5.

This appears to be a cosmetic issue only. It appears that the correct files (dated 9/30/10) are deployed to the Team Concert folder on the PCs. No adverse effects have been seen with using RTC by the users who have seen this.

Has anyone else seen this interesting behavior during their installation of the iFix4 upgrade?

5 answers

permanent link
Milan Krivic (98010172140) | answered Nov 05 '10, 5:27 a.m.
We are upgrading our RTC Eclipse clients from RTC v2.0.0.2 iFix2 to iFix4 here. I downloaded the iFix4 Standard zip file from the Downloads site here on Friday. The file is named: RTC-Eclipse-Client-2.0.0.2iFix4-Win32-Local.zip. All users here are using Windows XP with SP3. The RTC server has been upgraded to iFix4 and is running smoothly.

A few users did the upgrade today and are reporting that during the installation process they are seeing references to iFix5 in some of the screens displayed during the install process. After the install process is done, they click on Help->About Rational Team Concert and have the following string displayed in the Build id: field - "I20101021-2131". I believe that it should read: "I20100903-0816" (It does on the clients that I upgraded on Friday- 10/29). I think that "I20101021-2131" is for iFix5.

This appears to be a cosmetic issue only. It appears that the correct files (dated 9/30/10) are deployed to the Team Concert folder on the PCs. No adverse effects have been seen with using RTC by the users who have seen this.

Has anyone else seen this interesting behavior during their installation of the iFix4 upgrade?

Hi Walter,

I have seen similar situation. I was installing RTC 2.0.0.2 ifix5 together with RBD 8.0.1, and in Installation Manager, it was recognized as RTC 2.0.0.2 ifix4.
Here is work item which I submitted about this:
http://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=139117

permanent link
Walter Mansur (63613017) | answered Nov 05 '10, 9:20 a.m.

Hi Walter,

I have seen similar situation. I was installing RTC 2.0.0.2 ifix5 together with RBD 8.0.1, and in Installation Manager, it was recognized as RTC 2.0.0.2 ifix4.
Here is work item which I submitted about this:
http://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=139117

Hi Milan,

Thanks for the response. I have subscribed to the Work Item.

It looks like your situation is more extreme. When applying iFix5 and RTC thinks it is iFix4 does not seem to be a good situation. It appears that this had an adverse effect on your RTC Eclipse client. (Hopefully it was only minor in nature). For us, fortunately, the fact that RTC thinks iFix5 is being installed during an upgrade to iFix4 appears to have no bad effects on the RTC Eclipse client. For example, I can open the Jazz Perspective of the RTC Eclipse client (you said in the Work Item that you can not do this after your upgrade).

For the record, in case anyone was wondering, the upgrade to iFix4 for the RTC Client for Visual Studio appears to reference iFix4 through out the whole install process and when you select Help->About Microsoft Visual Studio, the RTC Client is listed with the correct info for iFix4.

Thanks,

-Walter

permanent link
Sreedhar Rella (24178) | answered Nov 05 '10, 10:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
we are investigating this issue now. Thanks for the notification.

permanent link
Walter Mansur (63613017) | answered Nov 05 '10, 10:44 a.m.
Hi Sreedhar,

Should I open up a Work Item for the behavior that we are seeing (installing iFix4 and install screens say iFx5)?

- Walter

we are investigating this issue now. Thanks for the notification.

permanent link
Sreedhar Rella (24178) | answered Nov 05 '10, 11:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Walter,
Yes it will help. I believe the issue you noticed is different than the problem mentioned in work item 139117.

thanks,
Sreedhar.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.