It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Story points not adding up correctly

Tony DeFarlo (1262314) | asked Oct 10 '10, 9:09 a.m.
I created a story and did not assign any story points to it. Then I created a child story and assigned it 2 story points. The parent story calculated it as 1 point. I added a second child story and gave it 5 story points. The parent story added both of these up as 4 story points (!). Somehow it lost 3 story points... :shock:

3 answers

permanent link
Tony DeFarlo (1262314) | answered Oct 10 '10, 9:56 a.m.
To add on to this: The problem below did not replicate itself when I did the same experiment on a new "clean" project. The problem occured when I renamed Story into Deliverable, and story points into "ideal days". (I had to do this because my organization would freak out if I started introducing Agile terminology).

I created a story and did not assign any story points to it. Then I created a child story and assigned it 2 story points. The parent story calculated it as 1 point. I added a second child story and gave it 5 story points. The parent story added both of these up as 4 story points (!). Somehow it lost 3 story points... :shock:

permanent link
Tony DeFarlo (1262314) | answered Oct 10 '10, 10:37 a.m.
Found the source of the problem. If you ever change the enumeration values for complexity you need to go to the xml source and make sure that the id is the numerical value you want assigned to the enumeration.

To add on to this: The problem below did not replicate itself when I did the same experiment on a new "clean" project. The problem occured when I renamed Story into Deliverable, and story points into "ideal days". (I had to do this because my organization would freak out if I started introducing Agile terminology).

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 10 '10, 3:03 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I've run into this myself ... I just filed work item 136025, requesting
that the enumeration values be set in the process editor, rather than
requiring hand-editing of the process configuration source XML. Please
feel free to indicate your interest/support by adding a comment to that
work item.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 10/10/2010 10:38 AM, adefarlo wrote:
Found the source of the problem. If you ever change the enumeration
values for complexity you need to go to the xml source and make sure
that the id is the numerical value you want assigned to the
enumeration.

adefarlowrote:
To add on to this: The problem below did not replicate itself when I
did the same experiment on a new "clean" project. The
problem occured when I renamed Story into Deliverable, and story
points into "ideal days". (I had to do this because my
organization would freak out if I started introducing Agile
terminology).

adefarlowrote:
I created a story and did not assign any story points to it. Then I
created a child story and assigned it 2 story points. The parent
story calculated it as 1 point. I added a second child story and gave
it 5 story points. The parent story added both of these up as 4 story
points (!). Somehow it lost 3 story points...
:shock:

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.