It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Test case version control

Talita Paula (11) | asked Sep 03 '10, 1:37 p.m.
My client needs to keep simultaneous branchs for the test case, in order to change it for diferent releases of the sw.

For example, consider you have testcasev7 (current version) being change for a new release and this testcase (v5, corresponding to older versions of the sw) must be changed due to a bug in the older version of the system being developed. How can I handle with this need? I tried snapshots, but I can't edit the snapshot.

It's something like different branches for the same test case, and more than one being changed at the same time.

Tks.
Talita.

4 answers

permanent link
Andri Lareida (36) | answered Aug 09 '11, 7:16 a.m.
We are having the same problem in my team. And we haven't found a solution to it. It seems as there is no best practice you can only decide if you want to copy the whole project area or if you want to duplicate and change artifacts and assign them to a certain test plan.
Both ways are not ideal but I don't see a better solution.

permanent link
Eva Jensen (622) | answered Oct 13 '11, 8:57 a.m.
We are considdering the same problem before starting to use RQM.
How to handle reuse of a test case in different version:

Product A uses version 1 of a requierment and a test.
Product B uses version 2 of a requierment and a test.

Next Product A in a new release needs an update of the req and the test. This is not possible because you can not go back to version 1 of the test.

How to maintain? When the test case is edited no old version persists! Only copy is possible and the copy does not link to its master.

permanent link
paulo xavier (2146) | answered Oct 17 '11, 11:32 a.m.
We are facing de same problem. We need better version control of atifacts.

permanent link
David Hanslip (23124448) | answered Nov 27 '11, 9:52 p.m.
I've been considering this problem too. The best I can come up with is a naming convention - "test case name_branch name_version number". You could extend this to linked requirement versions and test script versions too.

Next step would be to have a different test plan for each release containing the applicable test case versions and their associated requirement versions.

You could use the test case duplication capability to reduce the overhead of recreating test cases. Likewise for test scripts.

The view test cases capability could be used with an appropriate filter to view all versions of a particular test case.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.