It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Remove custom field from project

Kieron Brear (1461169) | asked May 11 '10, 10:47 a.m.
Hi,
I created a custom field for a work item in my RTC project and there was an error in it, and I created a new field. I deleted the custom field from the project configuration, but it still appeared in the panels to create queries. I then removed any reference to the field from the project XML by hand, but still it appears in the lists of attributes to choose to query on in the create query dialogue.

How do you permanently remove a custom field?

Thanks,
Kieron

4 answers

permanent link
Kieron Brear (1461169) | answered May 19 '10, 6:53 a.m.
Bump

permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9809161143) | answered Aug 18 '11, 3:52 p.m.
I need an answer to this as well, so I am reviving this old post. :) I removed all instances of the custom field from Process Configuration/Work Items/Types & Attributes and then I did a "Synchronize Attributes" on a few of the work items, but the custom field still appears in queries and in the editor (on the custom tab). It should have disappeared from the editor for those work items and the column should either disappear entirely or at the least show "na" for those work items it has been removed from (by running Synchronize Attributes).

permanent link
Michael Walker (99215201157) | answered Aug 18 '11, 6:46 p.m.
I need an answer to this as well, so I am reviving this old post. :) I removed all instances of the custom field from Process Configuration/Work Items/Types & Attributes and then I did a "Synchronize Attributes" on a few of the work items, but the custom field still appears in queries and in the editor (on the custom tab). It should have disappeared from the editor for those work items and the column should either disappear entirely or at the least show "na" for those work items it has been removed from (by running Synchronize Attributes).

I can't remember the defect # but I believe this is an open issue where the field still appears on the Web Client but it is "archived" on the Eclipse Client and doesn't show as expected.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Aug 19 '11, 5:18 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

this is tracked here:

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=59558

and here:

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=173494

My best practice currently is: create attributes (and enumerations and presentations etc.) with some meaningful ID e.g. com.customer.custom.attribute.<somename> this helps in the following ways:

- it is easy to identify the attribute
- it is easy to create other attributes
- it is easy to change the name of the attribute later e.g. to z_invalid_<oldname>

So the attribute is still queryable but it is possible to get it out of the way.

Maybe there are other suggestions how to do this?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.